Firefox panorama video performance

• While posting panoramic videos for Sziget 360 (http://sziget360.com/panoramavideo), I found out that when using Firefox the flashplayer would become extremely sluggish playing back panoramic video; scrolling the html page would be nearly impossible, and in non-fullscreen mode the framerate frequently became so low that Firefox suggested that the flashplayer should be closed. It turned out that by setting the wmode parameter to "window" (instead of the default "direct"), the video shows smoothly (like it did on chrome on the same machine).

So I added the following code to set the wmode param for Firefox:

Code
    var swf = createswf("krpano.swf", "krpanoObject", "100%", "100%");
    if(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('firefox') > -1)
      swf.addParam("wmode","window");
  • Hi,

thanks for the info!

The problem here is the wmode=direct depends on the computer graphics hardware and drivers, that means there might be some kind of problem/conflict on that side, Firefox itself could be also involved here.

But normally/typically the rendering performance should be even better with wmode=direct than wmode=window. I have currently no system which would show such slowdown in Firefox...

So it's a bit difficult to decide what default settings to use - prefer performance or avoid potential problems on some systems...?

Regarding Chrome - Chrome is a special case here, Chrome internally always uses a kind of 'wmode=opauqe' rendering mode, regardless of what wmode is set in the html.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,
    thanks for the info!
    The problem here is the wmode=direct depends on the computer graphics hardware and drivers, that means there might be some kind of problem/conflict on that side, Firefox itself could be also involved here.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Klaus, if we use wmode=window any time fore basic cases, this it good for all browsers for flash(html5 not used this parametr)…not for div and other?

Panoreal — to make and see this wonderful world! *whistling*

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!