krpano HTML5 Multiresolution Preview

• Why is that not enough. Why do I need to also filter out all the image levels.?

When a multires image AND a mobile image is defined, then the viewer chooses the multires ones by default (when multires is supported).

An other and maybe easier way, that voids adding devices setting to all level tags, might be defining two <image> elements - one with multires and one without - e.g.

And why is not the hardwarelimit="1024" working? That would be a perfect way to control the memory usage for the panorama.
    Its very obvious that it is when you load all the tiles for the 4th level and then need to unload them that you get the crashes

The hardwarelimit was a setting for the old non-multires engine and limits there the maximum size of a single/merged cube face. In multires the sizes or number of the levels don't matter, there will only a few tiles from each level be loaded - the ones that are necessary for the current view - that means the viewer wouldn't load 'all files from level 4'.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• not sure wether here's the right place for that...

i've two different html5 multires panos in different projects (one flat with 1° width, one cubic with 360 x 180°.
    both aren't loading further image tiles in autorotation mode. this occurs only on tablets (ipad3 / google nexus 7).
    if i tip and swipe (minimal movement is enough), the blurry tiles are replaced with the appropriate hires ones
    immediately as they should do.

this isn't a complaint at all, but as i didn't find any issues here in forum related to this and nothing about this in the
    missing/planned feature list of the 1.17 html5 viewer, i feel free to ask others about similar observation, or ask
    klaus wether it's perhaps just not ready. *wink*

the only thing i noticed that autorotion i deactivated on all demo projects on https://krpano.com/html5multires/

any ideas or workarounds?

best
    thomas

• After testing the multi resolution on my iPad 3 for a month I give up.
    It is not worth it. There are too many crashes.

It may work with simple panoramas without any hotspots, videos, sound or popups but for a tour like this one
    http://virtualdenmark.dk/dnm/kina/ it does not work. I have tested it with standard 1024 cubefaces without any problems. No crashes at all.
    However the multi resolution crashes at least 4-5 times during a full session of the tour.

Have been trying different approaches to find a solution that works without crashing for this tour http://virtualdenmark.dk/dnm/kina/

The solution that seems to work is to reduce the size of the popup text png's

The panos that crashed most are the ones with most popups No 8 and 10.
    As they used double size with scaling 0.5 for Retina the 15 png on no 10 actually use 113 mb as uncompressed index color.
    Reducing them to the display size with scale 1 it is reduced to 27mb.

Unfortunately this gives you the typical retina fuzzy look for images.

I guess I need to try and make it work with HTML text for the next exhibition.
    Just hate the bad formatting options for HTML. I think the textfield options really need to be updated. As far as I can see there is still not even an option for setting margins which makes it un unusable without combining it with a layer or background.

Hans

• Hi Hans.
    Just a thought but maybe your crashing has more to do with how much load your placing on the system all at the same time.

When I click into a Scene, I can see that it's trying to load Audio and the Image Tiles at the same time. The Audio and Image Tiles are not even getting a chance to fully load and the scene is auto rotating.

That's a big draw on CPU usage and bandwidth for such a tiny device.

I managed to experience a crash when viewing your tour on an Android Tablet, and it happened the second the audio started. It's like something you could see playing out in slow motion. The scene was not even fully loaded, and it was auto rotating and trying to play music.

That was tested on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

On my Windows Tablet everything starts almost instantly and it's a slick experience. But that's to be expected it's going to have the CPU usage to do infinitely more all at the same time.

Regards
    James

• I have thought about that also but the main problem is the large stage images for Retina.
    As they take 4 times more memory it is a very large memory use. Actually a standard mobile size 1024 pixel cubefaces pano only uses 18mb.
    So when you have more than 100mb of extra images it is a large burden. After I reduced some of them to normal size they only use 25% of that and I have not had any crashes.

Actually audio does not play automatically on iPad. They do not start until you touch the screen so it is just the file that loads and it is just around 2 mb.

Hans

Edited once, last by HansNyb (November 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM).

• Hi,

aren't loading further image tiles in autorotation mode. this occurs only on tablets ... about this in the
    missing/planned feature list of the 1.17 html5 viewer ... or ask
    klaus wether it's perhaps just not ready.

Right, automatic reloading during autorotate on mobiles/tablet is just not ready at the moment.

I think the textfield options really need to be updated.

I agree, this is also a topic I'm working on.

Actually a standard mobile size 1024 pixel cubefaces pano only uses 18mb.

That's not fully correct - in almost all realtime computer graphics one pixel typically need 32bit = 4 byte of memory (RGBA with 8bit per channel). The reasons therefore are memory addressing, compositing and just easier usage. That means six 1024x1024 images need at least 24 MB of memory (=4 x 6 x 1024 x 1024). And in real it can be probably much more, e.g. one copy of the image in the CPU ram and one copy in the GPU ram.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!