You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to krpano.com Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

milotimbol

Intermediate

• "milotimbol" started this thread

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 2:57pm

One shot with multiple Cameras

Hi,

Has anyone here tried to build a one shot rig with multiple cameras? Similar to Agnos MOtorR?

http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_ling…heda=MROTATORRP

I'm considering it for shooting the google street view type site that I am planning. We have a semi finished motorized pano head but I'm worried about stopping too much too shoot, and the possible movement of cars and people. I'm not sure how it will turn out. So in anticipation I am starting to look into the one shot thing.

Similar threads about MotorR
http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/4612/
http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/4520/

Here's our low quality video of our motorized pano head. It's still under development. All wires and no case for the circuit yet.
http://milotimbol.multiply.com/video/ite…rized_pano_head

SpyBoy seems to have looked into it. Has anyone else looked into this?

I dont think the picture below is MotorR but it might be similar

Thanks,
Milo
milotimbol has attached the following image:
  • 12-24-2007.n1a_24googleCameras.GIG2A8VDT.1.jpg

Shanti

Intermediate

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 4:04pm

That motor you created looks awesome, wish I had those skills :P but it looks kinda slow for moving traffic...

I know everyscape uses a custom made head, similar to the agnos, and that photo seems like it, a friend of mine is trying to do the same thing and its a bit hard, but not impossible, the bottom does not seem to line up even with the MotorR (which he bought) unless you have it high enough in your car.

anyways good luck with this and post pics if you ever decide to do it :)

Phil

Trainee

Thursday, June 25th 2009, 6:48pm

Milo,

I like your fast moving panohead. If you're shooting outside during the day create a continuous 360 panning mode. A 1.5-2 second rotation with a 1/2000 shutter speed should work because that's what I used for shooting aerial panos with my rc helicopter.

The multiple camera rig would work better. I've see it used for shooting 360 panos from full scale helicopters. You also don't need to stop depending on the shutter speed. Maybe just slow down to 5mph for the shot. The only negative with this method is that you need to buy 2-3 more cameras and lenses but you can make the mount for them your self. A big benefit would be that you can create a template in PTGui to batch stitch the panos for very fast and easy processing.

Phil

milotimbol

Intermediate

Friday, June 26th 2009, 4:42am

Shanti,

Thanks!Actually it's my friend who knows all the electronics. I'm just the one with the ideas.

Quoted

I know everyscape uses a custom made head, similar to the agnos
Now I know why the nadir looks strange in everscape panos. They're using one shot with multiple cameras and they're camera is not high enough! *w00t*

Quoted

the bottom does not seem to line up even with the MotorR (which he bought) unless you have it high enough in your car.
I did notice that in the agno's sample panos they all used a 3 m pole. like in the gandola, and there were no nearby objects to cause parallax errors. Do you happen to have a photo of his rig? What cameras and lenses are he using?

Phil

I owe you the photo of our Rig. I'll send it to you when its already clean and photograph-able (is there such a word?) *confused*

Quoted

A 1.5-2 second rotation with a 1/2000 shutter speed should work because that's what I used for shooting aerial panos with my rc helicopter.
You mentioned this before. The fastest rotation we measured at 2.8 seconds. We could adjust this if we change the gears. We are still testing indoors so when I put it at 1/2000 the photo is just black. *smile* . My concern with this is I'll be driving in between buildings and I think sometimes there will be dark areas. At what apperture and ISO are you shooting when you do the full rotation in 2 seconds?Shutter is triggered every 60 degrees right?

Quoted

I've seen it used for shooting 360 panos from full scale helicopters
Do you have a photo a link of this rig?

Thanks,
Milo

Phil

Trainee

Friday, June 26th 2009, 6:12pm

It looks like the picture you found in the first post. I did see a picture in the past year of a multi camera pano mount that was made by Photoshipone.com. I don't see it listed on their website but you can email them for information on it.

Quoted

The fastest rotation we measured at 2.8 seconds.
Try it and see what happens.

Quoted

At what apperture and ISO are you shooting when you do the full rotation in 2 seconds? Shutter is triggered every 60 degrees right?
Set aperture at about f/8, 1/2000 shutter speed and adjust the ISO to get the proper exposure. You can clean up noise from high ISO settings but you can't clean up blurry pictures.

Quoted

Shutter is triggered every 60 degrees right?
Yes.

Quoted

I owe you the photo of our Rig. I'll send it to you when its already clean and photograph-able
Anything is fine, it doesn't have to be a professional product shot!

Phil

Phil

Trainee

Saturday, June 27th 2009, 1:21am

Milo,
Go here and scroll down about halfway.

Phil

milotimbol

Intermediate

Monday, June 29th 2009, 2:57am

Nice Rig! 4 cameras and seems to be tilted 60 degrees. If I create something similar how high do you think it would have to go on top of a car to minimize parallax?

bulp

Intermediate

Monday, June 29th 2009, 5:45am

wow.. *thumbsup*

Phil

Trainee

Monday, June 29th 2009, 6:08am

If I create something similar how high do you think it would have to go on top of a car to minimize parallax?
Good question! Email DJ, the builder of that rig and ask him. The only other way is to build it and see what you can do with it. I've never had the cameras to try anything like this.

Phil

milotimbol

Intermediate

milotimbol

Intermediate

michel

Professional

Friday, July 3rd 2009, 2:54pm

Hi milotimbol,

You are really incredible... I like this bit of crazy that you have *smile* I like your rusty motorized pano head *thumbup* Not the best one in the world but it does the job and this is the important *attention* is it stable *question*

Continues your crazy way... at the end, it lies your goal *attention* *thumbsup*

Salut.

milotimbol

Intermediate

Sunday, July 5th 2009, 4:05am

I like how that sounds! CRAZY!! haha. Yup people think I'm crazy, i'll prove them wrong *smile*.

The first two panoramas here. the two leftmost thumbnails were shot using our motorized panohead. You will see the wires. We don't have a battery yet and we put a 5 second delay so we can run away and hide.

http://www.360philippines.com/events/mom…ive-sm-bicutan/

The others I had to do manually since there were no nearby electric sockets.

We are building the wireless and plugless version in the following weeks.

Thanks michel!

Milo

bulp

Intermediate

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 7:53am

great self invention Milotimbol..

what set did u use for the motorised shoot? .. i mean how many stop? and did u use timer or ??? im curios... *squint*

milotimbol

Intermediate

Thursday, July 16th 2009, 2:55am

thanks bulp. It was 6 shots around tilted at 5 degrees up. to allow for a lot of overlap. no nadir and zenith shots. The delay was just to allow us to move away from the camera, because we don't have a remote trigger for the circuit yet. Though we're using a remote shutter trigger for the camera (Phottix Cleon C) for canon 450d. basically we just opened the remote control and put it inside the box and put some wires on the remote switch which is triggered every 60 degrees.

Friday, July 17th 2009, 1:13pm

I've tested a camera system mounted on top of a car. If you had a very small car & the cameras mounted on a long pole you could probably shoot a full panoramic & hide the car in the final image.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Paul" (Jan 24th 2010, 4:56pm)

milotimbol

Intermediate

Friday, July 24th 2009, 3:33am

Hey paul.

Do you have samples of the stitched panorama? or maybe a photo of your rig? I'm curious as to how it looks. What camera lens combination are you using?

I also recently saw this.

http://www.360cities.net/profile/drivepano

There's some stitching errors below near the car but its minimal, the quality is way better than street view and its full spherical like everscape. were you able to produce something like this?

Thanks,
Milo

Monday, August 3rd 2009, 2:26pm

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Paul" (Jan 24th 2010, 4:53pm)

milotimbol

Intermediate

Tuesday, August 4th 2009, 2:45am

Paul,

yes that is pretty nice. I only noticed the one on the flag. Did you use an agnos mrotatorR ?

I started testing the other day. it looked good but it's gonna be a problem when there's too much motion going on.

http://www.360philippines.com/street-view/yen-street/

I had to go down to start the shooting sequence because the cable was short and did not reach the car interior.

thanks,
Milo

Tuesday, August 4th 2009, 11:15am

Hi Milo,

One thing you could try with your motorised tripod is to mount the camera at an angle & take the picture in 3 shots which would make it easier on a busy street.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Paul" (Jan 24th 2010, 4:54pm)