how to stream 360 video from amazon s3 properly?

• Hi,

I've seem many great 360 video from heros360.com & freedom360.us, most of these video were hosted in Amazon S3. So, I'm trying to duplicate one and replaced with my video. however, the streaming was not successful.

I've created a public bucket in S3 and make it a streaming distribution via Cloudfront. The file metadata "content-type" already changed to "video/mp4"

In the xml for the 360 video, I tried this:

Code
    videourl="rtmp://sc8pk5jjgxjqg.cloudfront.net/cfx/st/mp4:creativefest_1920b"

The progress bar was moving so the streaming seems happening, but there were loads of error: security error error #2123. and, the video was not visible, only audio was playing. I've checked the other thread some user suggest to add a setting file to the streaming server to allow video sample, but the S3 do not have such parameter.
    Here is the link of the testing page

If I put the direct video link from the S3 bucket, no streaming happened and I could only play the video once it was fully cached.

I studied some 360 video samples and they were just using http for streaming:

Code
    <plugin name="video"
    	    url="plugins/videoplayer.swf"
    		alturl="plugins/videoplayer.js"
    	    videourl="https://360hero.s3.amazonaws.com/360video/2013-OMSI/omsi_2013.mp4"
    		loop="true"
       		volume="1.0"
    		buffertime="5"
    		onvideoready="do_time_bar(video,null,bottomleft,null,100%,8,0,0,false,10);"
    	        />

Did I make anything wrong? I just want to have the same playback quality as the sample. thanks.

regards,
    KC

Edited once, last by kclai (May 28, 2013 at 4:36 AM).

• Hi there,

Sorry for the enormous delay. I have not been hosting video on any of these services, but I did add the RTMP streaming functionality to the videoplayer plugin. I explain the requirements for successful RTMP streaming in my earlier forum post .

Error #2123 is most likely from a failed attempt to access the raw bitmap data of the stream. For RTMP streaming, the hosting site *must* support direct sample access if you want to stream the video into the pano layer. Contact the hosting site and ask if this enabled by default, or can be changed by an admin for your site.

I can't help you with the http stream buffer issue, except that you should double-check that you have specified the buffertime parameter correctly.

Best of luck.

• Hi kclai,

I am experiencing the same problem. Were you able to resolve the issue with Amazon or did you need to use a media server (e.g. Wowza, Flash) as proposed by fredp? If you managed without using an a media server, how did you implement the required changes?

Thanks for the information!
    Michael

• sorry for my long delay, been on travelling.

It turns out that my Firefox was causing the issue. I have no problem with Chrome browser and Firefox on Mac so it's not an Amazon S3 specific issue. Anyway, I just signed up bluehost for hosting the video, so far it can display video with atom metadata as fast start. It also has 23 global CDN for speeding up your service at no extra cost :) Since they have a CDN in my city, I don't feel much difference in performance.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!