something i really don't understand

• Hi,

there is something i don't get...

when i put an image on the sphere to cube droplet from 4 mb it spits out cubefaces with this url:

hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg_cube_b.tif

etc...

*confused*

and together they are 1.5 mb or so...
    how can i change that??

Thanx

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi Tuur,

I think there is a mistake in your question... if your original picture hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg is about 4mb then the resulting pictures hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg_cube_b.tif must be much more heavy than 1.5 mb because of the tif format...

Perhaps your question comes because of using SPHERE to CUBE TIFF droplet.bat instead of SPHERE to CUBE JPEG droplet.bat...

I Hope this can help.

• Hi Michel,

Where can i find / change that??

don't see what you mean... in my download is only the droplet what referce to sphere to cube.. also don't see it in the mulitires config..
    I'm on a mac.

Thanx

edit: all the cube side's together are 1.5 mb...

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi Tuur,

krpanotools comes with 2 version of SPHERE to CUBE droplet... 1 for JPG output, the other for TIF output.

- SPHERE to CUBE JPEG droplet.bat
    - SPHERE to CUBE TIFF droplet.bat

I think the first one is more for publishing purpose and the second one for editing purpose.

If your needs are change some kind of parameter (like jpeg compression, output size,...) I think you must use the ktransform tool (I do not know if it is possible to sent some parameter value to the droplets..perhaps editing the bat itself)... It is easy to use and really useful.
    Look at this link https://krpano.com/tools/ktransform/

Salut.

• Hi,

krpanotools comes with 2 version of SPHERE to CUBE droplet... 1 for JPG output, the other for TIF output.

- SPHERE to CUBE JPEG droplet.bat
    - SPHERE to CUBE TIFF droplet.bat

never seen them *confused* *confused* *confused*

is it also in the mac download??

and in the ktransform... where can i make edit's... in the lines with an # *confused*

Now it's even worse...my understanding of it *cry*

anybody

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi Tuur,

I'm not a mac user... but I think you know about some kind of terminal in mac to execute commands... I think it must be in Applications / Utility's then terminal...
    Open it and then drop the ktransform.exe (don't know if in mac it is exe or another) application on it and press enter... you must view all the options displayed !!!

Now it is your turn *wink* play with it... at first it can seem a little difficult but it is not. An better of all ... it make the job really well *thumbup*

Salut.

• Tuur,
    If I understand your question right, you are asking where does the other 2.5mb of the file go? If that is the case, splitting the single image into several smaller files automatically reduces file size. It is the beauty of the multi-res function and krpano. Do more with less.

Jarredja

• Thanx jarredja,

that's part of the question..the part i understand... but why out puttif if it's jpg?? How can i change this?? And i can't imagine i loss quality and sharpness...

How to do spher to cubedroplet--jpg on mac??

etc..

thanx

Tuur *thumbsup*

• It may be due to being on a mac that you can't use it, (don't think that could be a reason ) but in the tools download, there is a

sphere to cube jpeg droplet.bat

I just tested the 1.0.8 b7 and it takes a .jpg and creates 6 .jpg as you requested

Edit: Apparently the mac download does not have that exact file. OOPS

Jarredja

• Thanx,

I know .. i just have sphere to cube droplet... but i like to know where i can change the setting and if it's in the k transform ... how>

Somebody?

Thanx

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi Tuur,

You are right... I have downloaded the Krpanotools for mac and there is only one CUBE to SPHERE droplet.app !!!! Don't know how it work *sad*

For total control of Sphere to Cube work, you must use Ktransform !!! Don't worry... it's more easy than it seem *wink* and it make exactly what you need !!!!

ktransform is a command line application... then it must be executed from a Terminal !!!
    The Terminal is a program included with all versions of Mac OS X. It is located in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder. When launched, it provides a line interface to execute commands... like Ktransform !!!
    Then, first, you have to open a Terminal... drag and drop Ktransform to the Terminal and press Enter.
    The Terminal must display the following lines: ( the user guide manual of Ktransform )

All the settings to use Ktransform the way you need are explained here !!!!

Taking your exemple, in the Terminal type this and press Enter:

Code
    >Ktransform  cube6 path_of_your_original_picture/hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg path_for_the_output_cubes/cube.jpg

If you need some special settings like output size and jpeg quality:

Code
    >Ktransform cube6 path_of_your_original_picture/hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg path_for_the_output_cubes/cube.jpg -outsize=2000x2000 -jpegquality=70

for a TIF output:

Code
    >Ktransform cube6 path_of_your_original_picture/hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg path_for_the_output_cubes/cube.tif

Hope this help *wink*

Salut.

• ahhh

so i make a copy to be sure of the ktransform..

delete all... and then put that commandline...

or should i put in the syntax line..

this is what i was looking for.. now just the last part of understnading and doing..

Thanx michel!

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi Tuur,

OK !!! Let's go to make a step by step example:

First example --- "Let us familiarize with ktransform and Terminal"

1. Open a TERMINAL like explained above. ( It is located in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder )
    2. Go to the folder where ktransform is located. ( Let us say C:\krpanotools-1.0.0\ktransform )
    3. Drag and Drop ktransform into the Terminal.
    4. Press Enter.

The resulting is that the Terminal display all the settings (the manual) to use ktransform !!! Only this, no over actions are done !!!

Second example --- "Let us transform a sphere to cube the simplest way" (like the sphere_to_cube_droplet do)

1. Open a TERMINAL ( or you can use the one opened before )
    2. Go to the folder where ktransform is located.
    3. Drag and Drop ktransform into the Terminal.
    4. Press the Space Bar.
    5. Type CUBE6. (This is the mode that tell Ktransform to do a Sphere_to_Cube conversion)
    6. Press the Space Bar.
    7. Go to the folder where your sphere Panos are. ( Let us say C:\sphere_panos\hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg )
    8. Drag and Drop your sphere pano into the Terminal. (this is the INPUT FILE)
    9. Press the Space Bar.
    10. Drag and Drop AGAIN your sphere pano into the Terminal. (this will be the OUTPUT FILE... then it is better to rename the file (into the Terminal) to cube.jpg but no problem if you don't... the resulting name for the cubes will be C:\sphere_panos\hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg_l.jpg, C:\sphere_panos\hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg_f.jpg , ect...). The command line will look like this:
      Code
      C:\krpanotools-1.0.0\Ktransform   cube6 C:\sphere_panos\hartelkering_1_bijsnelweg.jpg C:\sphere_panos\cube.jpg
    11. Press Enter.

The resulting is the 6 cube face located into your sphere Panos folder(C:\sphere_panos\cube__l.jpg , ect....) !!!

Now that you are familiarized with the tool *smile* , it is your turn to play with the different settings to get the result you need !!! For example change the -outputsize=1500x1500 or the -jpegquality=60...

Hope this help. *wink*

Salut.

Edited 4 times, last by michel (June 20, 2009 at 11:04 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!