offline use: better use no multires?

• Hm. I have nearly completed a tour with multires panos based on 10.000x5.000 images. When preparing an offline version, it seems that this would kill any DVD-drive in the long run. Zooming in causes constant loading of tiles (once they are all there, smooth panning though) and thus a rather unpleasant user experience. Did I make a mistake during the encryption process or is this a basic limitation? Should one avoid using multi-res tiles for an offline version?

Michael

• Well, if you look at your tiles folders you can easily tell that there is a HUGE number of files that need to be transferred.
    While on the web it CAN be an advantage to transfer many files in small chunks it seems to be a disadvantage when using slow local drives such as optical drives. Especially when used locally I wouldn't recommend to use multires at all for panos of a size from just 10x5k.

• Thank you Jürgen,

... that's what I supposed already. I have never been asked to produce a CD/DVD version with KRPano until now (ironically right now, when offline use becomes more and more a thing of the past). So I didn't spend a thought on that part of the tour building process before I really heard the drive working hysterically *wink* To be honest, I did HOPE that I made a different mistake and there might be another solution then exchanging the image-parameter part in a whole bunch of scenes ...

Thanks for clarifying this, Jürgen.

All the best,
    Michael

• Hi,

this is a basic limitation of the Flashplayer when loading local files:

When loading files from the net, then the Flashplayer will do the loading in the background - that means you can still interact with the Flashplayer (e.g. pan around in the pano) during the loading.

BUT - when the Flashplayer loads files from local drives - then it works that way - when requesting the file, the Flashplayer start loading the file and completely stops itself until the file is fully loaded. Once it is loaded, everything continues to work normally again. That means there will be always a short pause when loading new files in this case.

A way to avoid that Flashplayer limitation might be using a local webserver - e.g. mongoose is simple and easy (but not the fasted) one.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!