Free app for offline tour viewing on IPAD

• Hello folks,

¿Have you ever had a client ask you to be able to navigate his/her virtual tour offline from an iPad/iPhone? Well, I've just found a partial solution to this issue and I want to share it with you. I think this must be a common headache among all of us which often find clients to be very happy with their virtual tour, wanting to take it everywhere on their IPAD/IPHONE device, even though there isn't any internet connection, but, as we know, because krpano is mostly intended to be an online viewer, there isn't that simple to install our virtual tours to be viewed offline, less onto an Apple device.

Here's the tip, because Apple doesn't let users to upload files to an IPAD/IPHONE as easily as it would be with an usb (like it SHOULD be) restricting all file transfer to be done through their beloved iTunes, I've found some apps in the Appstore, known as "document managers", which can be used to sync our tour files with the iOS device and also to view them later offline. This apps work like a local file manager that can also read and display distinct file types, like pdf, jpg, and many more, the marvel with this apps is that they can read HTML files as well, and of course, that lots of them are free. *thumbsup*

The detailed steps to "install" our krpano javascript/HTML5 tour into an Apple device with my tip go like this:

1) Open App Store in the IPAD/IPHONE, search and install the app "Documents by Readdle" (I like this one but there are plenty of other free file manager apps, you can find them by "documents" keyword)
    2) From your computer ZIP all your tour files into one only file leaving tree structure as it is (remember you'll just navigate this locally from your iOS device)
    3) Connect IPAD/IPHONE to computer, open iTunes and select your device from the DEVICES category in the left menu
    4) Click onto Apps tab almost at the top of the window and scroll down the main window and search the File Sharing section
    6) Select your document manager app from the list and drag and drop your tour ZIP file into the window to the right of it
    9) From your IPAD/IPHONE open the document manager app and search for your zip file
    10) Click to unzip it
    11) Open your HTML initial file (index.html for example) and if everything went well you'll see your virtual tour is loaded from the iOS device like if it were online. *thumbsup*

Hope to have been clear enough with this explanation, in a few words the tip is to use a "Document manager" app to read the html files locally into an IPAD/IPHONE device.

I haven't had the chance to test this method with iPhones, my 3G iphone is quite outdated and doesn't run any of the document manager apps I've tried, but, because the tour display is done by this apps I guess that this method should work without any problem onto newer iphones, if you can try it with this phones please share your results.

Tell me your experience with this method, if you know of other way to browse offline a krpano virtual tour please share.

Best regards

Luis

• Thanks for the tip, Luis! Seems to work just fine *squint* The menu bar of the "Documents"-App just seems not to react as it should?! While I´m inside of a document (the help ie) a triple-tap hide and brings up the menu bar of this app, but this does´nt work inside a tour. So there is no way back, once the menu bar is hidden. But besides that, it works great *g*

Thanks again and best regards *smile*
    Nupsi

• There are many apps for offline viewing of html files with panoramas.

Good reader is perhaps the most known but it suffers from the same problem as just described and the best solution for that is to make a standard webpage with links to your tours and inside the tour for example on a bottom logo a link back to this page.

But there are today many other offline readers which work just as good and do not have the problem.

Site2Go HD is one and HTML Books another one. Both of them work with easy transferring your tours by making a zip of them.
    However they are different in how you transfer the zip to the ipad.
    Both has a menu which is always present so you can easy go to another page. Site2Go HD is supposed also to work as fullscreen by shaking the iPad but I never got it to work as it should.

Another one is File App pro which though has the problem that the back to menu pops up all the time also when you use any navigation buttons.

HTML presenter works by syncing your tours via Dropbox.

And there are many others that might work.

Hans

• Nupsi: I'm glad it helped you, and you're right about the hiding-bar menu, that one doesn't come one it disappears, the good part of it is that when it goes away leaves an almost fullscreen viewing experience (in other apps I tried that bar was present all the time) which is kinda eye catchy, but yes, the bad side is that app must be restarted to return the menu bar. The only turn around I've found for this problem is the obvious one, which is to reset the app, which ain't that complicated either. Something must be colliding between the viewer and the three finger command of the app which blocks the menu bar.

Hans: Thanks for sharing all those other apps, as you say there are plenty of them which make the same function. Some time ago I used to work with ReaddleDocs which worked just fine but you had to pay for the app (65$ by now on the app store), that wasn't a very good option to give to my clients because it implied an extra cost. Now that I have to deliver a work that can be seen on ipad devices offline I searched again for free apps which could substitute that one and got very surprised to find out lots of free document managers which offered the same offline navigation function needed for virtual tours, I've got specially interested in "Documents by Readdle" because is like a diminished version of ReaddleDocs, but this time cost free, and has a very nice GUI and intuitive interface, an excellent option for me to recommend to my clients which often want to be able to carry their virtual tour everywhere on their iPad.

Best regards

Luis

• By the way, another option for iPad or iOS devices offline viewing would be of course to develop an App for iOS and to offer it through the App Store. I've got a few requests to do this but I really don't know what is the way to develop an App. I've seen before this app: "360plus" which contains selected works of Ignacio Ferrando, a famous 360º panographer, I think that it must be using some commercial 360 viewer to display all the scenes but it doesn't give any reference at all. ¿Do any of you know how to, or what would be the way to develop this kind of apps? ¿Could they possibly be integrated with krpano javascript viewer?

Luis

• Documents is amazing!

Not working for me. I'm getting the same "Local usage with file:// urls is limited due browser security restrictions!" error I would get if I were opening the file on my desktop computer. I also tried downloading Firefox on my iPhone, but it doesn't seem to open with it. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

• Not working for me. I'm getting the same "Local usage with file:// urls is limited due browser security restrictions!" error I would get if I were opening the file on my desktop computer. I also tried downloading Firefox on my iPhone, but it doesn't seem to open with it. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Ha! Okay never mind. Still can't get Documents working, but GoodReader works great. So... if anyone else has this problem, try GoodReader!

• Not working for me. I'm getting the same "Local usage with file:// urls is limited due browser security restrictions!" error I would get if I were opening the file on my desktop computer. I also tried downloading Firefox on my iPhone, but it doesn't seem to open with it. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

The app is Documents developed my Readdle, just in case.
    Never got that message on my desktop nor in documents and I am using krpano from 2009.
    Try to generate tour with everything on default - maybe you create some limitations in protect tool?

For Documents I just uploaded archive through iTunes, unarchived and opened the tour - everything's works on my iPad and iPhone(ios 9.3.3 and 9.1 respectively)

If you rename your index.html files to actual names you can enjoy 'recents' to quickly access last opened tours - very handy.
    But the app it's a bit glitchy when changing orientation

Very interesting app for free. I've used GoodReader for a few years, but I don't like it anymore.

• I Use the AndroPHP for Adroid phone instead of it . this is a Server APP for Android phone, so you can run php and mysql on the Android phone and connectting with wifi for all computers or ipads ,phones.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!