Generate rectangular thumbnails instead of square

• hi klaus

another vote here for non square thumbs

the ability to create a small equirectangular preview along with droplet pano output would be very useful to me, as i typically use another program to make a 800px wide equi which i use as a preview image linking to the pano from another page

it would also be my preference to use smaller equi previews with the tour droplet output

any chance this option might make it into a future release ?

thanks

sam

• It is very easy to take control of this.

I would never use the automatically generated thumbs for final delivery.
    It is simply not possible to generate perfect thumbs automatically if you want them to look professional.

The default output saves all the different images in the same folder. This is not good for several reasons as the previews and the thumbs are named the same and it takes more time to open and replace them.

However it is very easy to change this in the config file.

My config looks like this:
    # output images path
    tilepath=%INPUTPATH%/vtour/panos/tiles/%BASENAME%.tiles/pano[_c].jpg

# preview pano settings
    preview=true
    graypreview=false
    previewsmooth=25
    previewpath=%INPUTPATH%/vtour/panos/previews/%BASENAME%-preview.jpg

# generate smaller mobile images
    customimage[mobile].size=1024
    customimage[mobile].path=%INPUTPATH%/vtour/panos/mobile/%BASENAME%-mobile_%s.jpg
    customimage[mobile].imagesettings=jpegquality=85 jpegsubsamp=444 jpegoptimize=true
    customimage[mobile].xml=<mobile>[NL][TAB]<cube url="[PATH]" />[NL]</mobile>

# generate thumbnails
    makethumb=true
    thumbsize=240
    thumbpath=%INPUTPATH%/vtour/panos/thumbs/thumb-%BASENAME%.jpg

As you can see I generate a folder for each of the image types. Also the mobile images are in one folder separately which means that it is much easier to make a special iPad version for offline.
    You just delete the "tiles" folder and you now have a much smaller tour for the iPad. There is no problem leaving the links to the tiles in the xml.

You can now easy make your own thumbs in whatever size you want and at the top of the vtourskin.xml you just change the size and delete the crop option.

You also need to change the active border image in the skin vtourskin_thumbborder.png
    With the default settings it should have the same size as the thumb + the border.
    IYou can easy change it with a thinner border or with no round corners or what ever color you want.
    Here is an example with equirectangular thumbs and with blue square border. I also added a shadow within the border.
    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/krpano-thumbs/

Hans

• I'd second the request. Right now, I have an extra step involved in my workflow to create rectilinear previews. It would be cool if one could just use, say,

Code
    thumbsize = 400x300
    thumb_rx = ...
    thumb_ry = ...
    thumb_rz = ...
    thumb_fov = ...

where rx, ry, rz and fov are as for the ktransform tool, in order to automatically generate a rectilinear preview straight through the droplets.

• I know this is an old post but Hans, it has helped me out tremendously ...thank you! *thumbsup*

...wondering if you have any updated info for this based on 1.18? Most of what you have listed here works like a charm except:

# generate thumbnails
    makethumb=true
    thumbsize=240
    thumbpath=%INPUTPATH%/vtour/panos/thumbs/thumb-%BASENAME%.jpg

...it seems to have no effect whether I include this in the config or not. I'll try to update this with a live example asap *smile*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!