HELP!, I'm experiencing color shifts!!!

• Hi I'm having some color problems when using the cube and pano convert droplets.
    After stitch the pano and assign a color profile in photoshop, the colors are perfect, but when convert the equirectangular into cubes for nadir retouching and reconvert it back into equirectangular using the Krpano droplets the resulting pano has very dull colors, what is the problem here?, is any Krpano bug?, I'm using Mac's for the process and in all my machines I got the same problem.
    I also asked one of my pano fellows to try one of my images and he had not problem.

Note: all the color profiles are synchronized form beginning to end in my workflow, in this case AdobeRGB 1998, but when trying to use sRGB is the same, I also tried 16bit, 8bit, Tiff, JPEG, jpg, jpeg and all kind of sort of things and always the same result "DULL" images very far from original colors.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!

• PTGui, Pano2VR and KRpano do not make any changes in color but they do not preserve your profile.

When you open it in Photoshop again you have to apply your original profile.

If your profile is anything else than sRGB you will not have correct colors for using it on web as most browsers will assume that the image is in sRGB.
    You have to first apply your original profile in Photoshop and convert it to sRGB before using it for example in the KRpano tools to make the cubefaces for your pano.

Set up your color preferences in Photoshop to always ask what to do if the profile is missing.

Hans

• Hi Hans,
    Thank you for your response, yes I'm aware that I will not have a correct color representation on the web if I don't use sRGB, what I meant is that I've converted the cubefaces back and forward using different color profiles in my machine after retouched the nadir and always got the same dull result, very noticeable from the original stitched-"not nadir retouched"-pano,
    Which it means that the image ounce is passed throw Krpano is loosing saturation and contrast, and even if I apply sRGB for web or AdobeRGB for print or just to have it in my computer, that doesn't fix the issue, the images still a lot less saturated and the colors are not even close to the stitched one.
    Again Thank you.

• 1. Open Photoshop and choose Edit/Colorsettings
    Set your working space to what you prefer.

Set the color management Policies to Profile mismatches Ask when opening and same for missing profiles.

2, Now lets say you have an Equi with Adobe 1998 profile .
    Convert to cubefaces with the tool.
    Open one for editing in Photoshop. You will be asked what to do. Choose apply Adobe 1998 or just say leave without profile
    Edit the image and save.

3. Convert the cubes back to equi with the tools.

4. Open in Photoshop and when asked say apply Adobe 1998.

Edit ev. colors etc and now before using it for converting to web cubefaces choose Edit/ convert profile and convert to sRGB

Of course you could also prefer to work in sRGB all the way from start.

Hans

• Hi nohcc4, I think you missed Hans' point ..." PTGui, Pano2VR and KRpano do not make any changes in color but they do not preserve your profile" ... Your images color will depend on
    which profile they use (which profile they refer to). When you process the images with krpanotools, the RGB data will not be affected, but there will be no more reference to the color profile in the output images. That means you should re-apply (in PS, use "apply profile" in this case).

Also, note that sRGB does not guarantees that the colors will be accurate in flash. Krpano offers the option to use flash player's color management features (see :
    https://krpano.com/docu/xml/#krpano.colorcorrection ) but the documentation warns against potential memory issues when it is used, and most people who will see that panoramas won't even have a properly calibrated screen to make it worth.

It would be nice if krpanotools could preserve the images profile, as this is quite tricky for those who are not aware of the problem.

• From what I understand is that some browsers like Internet Explorer use windows default sRGB color scheme, while Mozilla, Chrome, etc use hardware acceleration (so the colors are determined by your gpu), so it will become AdobeRGB. If you save an image with AdobeRGB profile, it will look good in those browsers, but internet explorer will downgrade it to sRGB, resulting in desaturated images. Thats why you have to save the file always with sRGB embedded, so it looks the same in all browsers

Important to know is, you have to convert AdobeRGB to sRGB, not just set your profile. Then you do all your color corrections and such, this way you can ensure that the colors you see, is what the user will see. Back in the day when I 3d modelled, it was a tedious workflow, since 3d programs don´t have a colorrange, it has infinite colorrange untill the moment you save the file. Downside was that the textures you used were sometimes sRGB and sometimes adobeRGB, so you got some mixed sources, it was hard to straighten that out (not even considiring gammut)

Some links:
    http://om4.com.au/client/prepari…srgb-adobe-rgb/
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/srgb…rgb-debate.html

• I have not checked for a long time the status of Colorprofiles in Web browsers. Last time I checked the only browser that did use colorprofiles as default was Safari.
    Firefox needed it to be activated in some way which I found that the normal web user would never do,

However a short test on Mac Chrome, and Firefox shows that they both now use the profiles in images as default.
    I assume that the Windows versions do the same.

As far as I know the latest IE versions also can use profiles but I do not remember if it is a default setting.

However if you do not include the profile in an image which is using Adobe1998 the browser will assume that the image is an sRGB and it will have the washed out colors.

Hans

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!