Device settings Android image settings

• Until now I have been using multitiles with 512 tiles to support both Desktop, Android and iDevices.
    This works perfect without the mobile and tablet images. And it will give me full resolution on Android.

However I need to use the sizes of 512-1024-2048-4096 etc cubefaces to make it work on iPad.

I wanted to see if I could now use the devices settings to force Android to use the large cubefaces also with mobile and tablet images.
    It turned out that this works perfect if I do this

<image type="CUBE" multires="true" tilesize="507" progressive="false">
    <level tiledimagewidth="5577" tiledimageheight="5577">
    <cube url="panos/elmelunde.tiles/l4_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="2789" tiledimageheight="2789">
    <cube url="panos/elmelunde.tiles/l3_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="1395" tiledimageheight="1395">
    <cube url="panos/elmelunde.tiles/l2_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="698" tiledimageheight="698">
    <cube url="panos/elmelunde.tiles/l1_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <mobile devices="iphone" >
    <cube url="panos/elmelunde.tiles/mobile_%s.jpg" />
    </mobile>
    <tablet devices="iPad" >
    <cube url="panos/elmelunde.tiles/tablet_%s.jpg" />
    </tablet>
    </image>

Well almost perfect because to my surprise Safari desktop with flash disabled now showed me the iPad version.

This does not make sense. Without the devices settings it will use the large cubefaces for html5.

Question is also what about coming Android HTML5 CSS3 support. How will that work.

I have tried to include this within the level tag devices="desktop|android" but it still shows the ipad version on dektop html5

Hans

• Hi,

Well almost perfect because to my surprise Safari desktop with flash disabled now showed me the iPad version.
    This does not make sense. Without the devices settings it will use the large cubefaces for html5.

are you sure?

assuming that you are not using the iPhone/iPad simulator (or the simulatedevice setting) the level with 1395x1395 images should be loaded on Desktop for HTML5 - the max. size on HTML5 with CSS 3D on Desktop is 2200 at the moment, see here: https://krpano.com/iphone/#details
    so the viewer takes at largest multi-res level that is smaller than (or equal to) 2200,

Question is also what about coming Android HTML5 CSS3 support. How will that work.

what do you mean?
    the devices detection?
    the image usage?

basically it will work like on iPhone/iPad - the <mobile> or <tablet> images will be used by default,

best regards,
    Klaus

• I never heard about this limit before.

I do not understand what you mean with this either

"The rendering is sharper on the desktop. On the desktop the normal full images were used. Tiled and multires panos can be to 2200 pixels large. Additionally a different rendering method is used that avoids the automatic mipmapping which would smooth the panos unnecessary and uncontrolable."

First you say that the full images are used than you say it is a limit,
    And what do you mean with tiled and multiresolution. What kind of full spherical panos are tiled but not multiresolution.

What is the problem actually. I just tested the PTGui viewer and it loads fine with a 16000x8000 in HTML5. I know it does not use cubefaces but 14 tiles but is that making a difference.
    Panning is jerky though but no crashes.

Pano2VR seems to have a max of 4000x4000 cubefaces.

The problem with HTML5 in the other viewers seems to be that it does not work very good until everything is loaded. I think KRpano multiresolution works much better with this so I can not see why the limit.

Hans

• Hi,

First you say that the full images are used than you say it is a limit,
    And what do you mean with tiled and multiresolution. What kind of full spherical panos are tiled but not multiresolution.

with 'full images' I'm meaing the 'normal', not <mobile> and not <tablet> images,

in the krpanoJS there is currently no multi-resolution - multi-resolution means for me, to load dynamically only that parts of the resolution that are necessary for the current view,

but tiled-loading is possible,
    so in case of a multi-res pano the viewer looks for a <level> tag with a 'useable' size and loads just this level,

why the limit.

bigger single images are causing either an automatic down-sampling by the browser (=lower resolution anyway) or rendering errors (small lines between some browser-internal sub-images - both things are not controllable and also vary a bit from browser versions and systems,
    so to make it working anywhere, there is this size limit at the moment, I have tested it successfully on all browsers and systems...

best regards,
    Klaus

• It seems that this size limit for html5 has not been discussed at all in the forum.

Looking back at the KRpano site I can see that the text about it was introduced in dec 2010.

I find it quit weird that people never discussed this as it sets the use of html5 on desktop in a completely different view.
    To get a full resolution panorama with just a 50% zoom on a 1920x1080 screen you need at least 2800 cubefaces.

Not to talk about an 27" screen with 2560x1440 like the iMac 27" which needs that for default FOV.

Hans

• bigger single images are causing either an automatic down-sampling by the browser (=lower resolution anyway) or rendering errors (small lines between some browser-internal sub-images - both things are not controllable and also vary a bit from browser versions and systems,

I do not see anything like that in the PTGui HTML5 viewer. I tested up to what corresponds to at least 4000x4000 cubefaces. (14tiles of 3047x3047)

It even pans fine after everything is loaded.

Hans

• Hi,

then please try that PTGUI pano also in Windows Safari!
    there you should also see a lot of small lines
    e.g.

btw - by using the internal test setting:

Code
    <display html5rendermode="2" />

you can also try to use bigger images in krpano on Desktop, but then you will get also these lines...

best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!