Limit panning speed

• Hi Klaus,

Is it possible to limit the panning speed, regardless of mouse sensitivity? Some people have commented that they spin too fast and get dizzy, even though I have mouse sensitivity set to what I feel is a comfortable level, if I set it any slower then others complain that they can't pan fast enough. I suppose that some people are not used to navigating a pano with their mouse and they over-control, and some people probably have their mouse set to move very fast - variable that we have no control of. I would like to have a way to counteract that with a "maximum panning speed" parameter. Maybe even better: separate maximum vertical and horizontal pan speeds?

Also, we've discussed this before but I would like to reiterate: It would be fantastic if you integrated a method for easily displaying still (non-panoramic) images - just display the image with no panning. Because still images and monitors have different aspect ratios, having the option to fill or fit still images on screen, and, in the case of fit, control background color.

*thumbup*

Dave

• It sounds like you want to adjust the "mousespeed" parameter in the "control" node...

ref... http://www.krpano.com/docu/xml/#control

If you look at the examples on the site, they have the options plugin setup and you can play with some different variables to see what might work for you.

Here's a direct link to one... http://www.krpano.com/krpano.html?pa…rche/kirche.xml

... look in the top right for the arrow/box and click it.

-------------

Still images... sorry if I repeat something that was said last time, I don't remember the discussion... but you can load still images as a plugin pretty simply. There are a variety of ways that it can be done (and control the background color)... so, let us know what your scenario would be and someone will post a solution.

A quick rundown of possibilities...
    - on top of the existing pano as a plugin
    - on top of the existing pano as a plugin, with a separate plugin to set the background color and block the existing pano
    - as a new scene without a pano image defined, and with a separate plugin for background color
    - as a new scene without a pano image defined, and the background color controlled via the html embed options

You could also maybe use the masking feature to do something... but I haven't gotten into that.

Just let us know.

Graydon

• Thanks for your reply Graydon...

I'm embarassed...I should have known that the mousespeed parameter would do the trick.

It might be helpful to describe how my tours work. You can have a look here (click the "Interactive Virtual Tour" link). Here's the XML:

"gui.swf" contains the tour's user interface. The thumbnails in the GUI reference individual XML's:

There are individual XML files for each pano. Here's 001.xml (the first scene in the tour):

-is it possible to have an XML file that references a still image and tells krpano to display it as such? This way I could show still shots right inside my virtual tour, along with the panoramics, both using the thumbnails as a means of selecting.

Sorry if my questions seem simplistic. I don't know much about the coding that went into my virtual tours and the coder I'd hired to create the system has gone AWOL, so I'm stuck with trying to figure things out myself. *wacko*

Incidentally, the guy who built the GUI for my tours also made a cool app that allows me to create the tours with a minimum of fuss. I drop any number of equirectangular panos into a directory and launch his app. It uses krpano tools to make the cubefaces, preview and thumbs, and copies everything into a directory ready for upload. A separate Adobe Air app enables me to place the hotspots on the map and type in the names of the thumbnails. It's a fantastic time saver.

• I don't think I understand your question, you have Thumns pointing to the panos, or do you mean photos inside the panorama? I know you can use simpleviewer to show some stills.

example on this thread:
    Is there a "drop-in" gallery that can be used with KRPano?

maybe you should consider sharing that app? *tongue* or even re-sell it *g* I am sure it would help a lot of people

• Hi Shanti,

I would like the thumbs to be able to display stills also. Not over a panorama - in place of it. Unlike the simpleviewer sample, I would like the stills to fit within the entire screen. Have a look at this slideshow - click the fullscreen button and note how each image fits the screen, regardless of it's aspect ratio. That's what I'm looking for. I want my virtual tours to display panos and stills, all in the same environment.

I've thought of offering my virtual tour creator, but it needs to be polished some more and I need to find a good Flash person to work on it. Like I said, the genius who made the current iteration for me has has moved to another country and is getting his PhD *huh*

Dave

• so, you want to show a photo on the full krpano stage?

I am not sure how you would go for that...but why not try and use that slideshowpro as a plugin and set 100% for width and height?, since its a paid plugin I can't test it, but if you find a free version I'll be glad to help you.

or a lightbox (or one of the million clones out there) to show it on top of the panorama?

example: http://www.vallartarestaurants.com/panoramas/krgm/m.php click on the first thumb and a greybox will open, this can include images or anything, even a slideshow :)

hope it helps *smile*

• In the same way that people make a plugin go all the way across the bottom or side of the screen as a frame or semi-transparent band, couldn't you do the same for a picture ? Just make the image a plugin that is activated by the thumnbnail, then covers the entire screen. Toggle with the usual onclick event.

• My ideal solution would be an xml file for each still image. Something like this:

Code
    <krpano version='1.0.8' > 
    <image type='STILL'> 
    <preview url='../previewimages/001.jpg' /> 
    <url='../images/001.jpg' /> 
    <displaytype='FITSCREEN' /> (the other type would be 'FILLSCREEN') 
    <padding='30px' /> (optional - default would be 0 pixels) 
    <bgcolor='BLACK' /> (or maybe a semi-transparent lightbox-style background?) 
    </image> 
    </krpano>

If we had a 'STILL' image param in krpano, the advantage would be simplicity plus it would display in much the same, familiar way as the panos - we'd have a low-res preview image, progress showload/showwait, and fading between images.

What do you think Klaus?

My clients almost always have me shoot still images in addition to panoramics. It would be great to have a way to easily integrate these still images right into the virtual tour.

• To "simulate" the 2d / flat-image you can use this...

Code
    <krpano>
        <view fisheye="0" fovmin="0.01" />
        <image type="SPHERE" hfov="1">
            <shpere url="flatpano.jpg" />
        </image>
    </krpano>

... for your xml file. And I think that you can use sphere or cylindrical for type.

reference this link: http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/inde…ad&threadID=120
    and go down to the partial pano section.

The downside is that krpano will auto fit only one of the dims (height / width) depending upon screen / stage size... and you'll still have to pan up/down or left/right to see the image.

In this thread... http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/inde…ad&threadID=605 you can see Tuur's sample. The link was changed about midway through the thread... so you'll have to scroll down to where he's provided a new link (it's the member's only showcase and links aren't supposed to be indexed in that section... so I didn't want to post it here).

There might be a way force the image to "fit" within the screen... but I can't remember how... or if it can be. It would be a nice feature though... to be able to specify image type as "flat"... or to be able to put hfov=1 (to get flat) and vfov=fit... or something (not full of ideas right now *unsure* ).

Graydon

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!