Packagin Multi-res sets for upload

• Anyone figured out a more efficient way to FTP a mutli-res pano to their web site?

The first two test that I've done have worked great, but it takes forever to upload them even via FTP since there are so many files. The FTP program that I'm using has a short delay for each file so it's not the size that slow, it's just the "handshake" that going on that slows things down so much.

Anyone got any ideas to make this faster?

Regards,

Robert

• can you connect without FTP software? just use ftp://ftp.domainname.com. if using IE go to tools and click to "open site in explorer" then you can just drag the new files into the FTP window. that may transfer them fast there would not be a handshake between each file once the window is open.

i sync my site right through Dreamweaver it has settings for the FTP connection. It connects really fast and transfers files fast. Much faster than if I just hit the same FTP site from internet explorer and dump the files myself.

• I've been using Core FTP lite for quite a while, it's a very good program, easy to use, full of features, etc. but the handshake slows down the multi-res upload. I'm going to try a few other programs, but I suspect that they all may exhibit this behavior as it seems likely to me that this is just the way "proper" FTP works. That is after each file is uploaded, the FTP software checks to see that it's done, get confirmation, and then starts on the next one. This is why uploading 100 files each 1K takes so much longer than 1 100K file.

When I first posed this question I was wondering if anyone had found a way to package a mult-res VR for faster upload, but perhaps it's not worth it as even though it takes a bit of wall clock time, its' still just a couple of mouse clicks to get it started and then it's time to refill the coffee mug.

Regards,

Robert

• is there some way that you can package the tour in a compressed file format that can be extracted on the server?

Doing a quick search for "unzip on server" brings up some possibly relevant information... which in my haste will boil down to this one item... "check with your host, it might be setup on your server already".

It might make it faster... since it's a single file... but you'll still have time for a cup of coffee (or 5) while it loads.

• Speaking of uploading. Is there any way to create a page with an upload field where I can upload a equirectengular and somehow point it to the kmakemultires on my server and have it create the panorama on the server automotically?

Speaking of uploading. Is there any way to create a page with an upload field where I can upload a equirectengular and somehow point it to the kmakemultires on my server and have it create the panorama on the server automotically?

Hi,

yes, that's possible, there are also linux versions of the tools,
    these can be used on server, but to start the tools some web server programming knowledge is needed,
    e.g. cgi, php or simlar...

best regards,
    Klaus

• Is there anyone out there who has had any luck with using serverside creation of the panos as Klaus has suggested?
    I am developing a drupal website and am currently generating a dynamic XML file for the panos as they are uploaded. It would be great if I could use multiresolution panos on the site without having to upload hundreds of photos at once.

Klaus, or anyone else?

thanks

Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!