• Thanks to VN & Hans I've finally understood how to make panos linked by hotspots that work on the iPad.
    Q
    for a large project do people make one huge xml file with all the scenes on or should it be separate as in pre -ipad projects?

JL

• I'd make a seperate xml so that you can fix all the little differences between the flash versions and simply remove everything unessary for touch screens and add things that may be more important.
    That way you're not parsing anything you don't need and you don't need extra includes which tend to slow things down.
    Or you can keep a base xml and a flash xml and a html5 xml and include whichever one you need when you need it.
    Basically it comes down to organization and ease of development.
    In your case hotspots would be duplicate code which I would put in a base xml and alter their scale for the iphone using altonloaded or onloaded. So you only need to write one hotspot.
    Then if you have php or asp at your disposal, you can make includes just for scenes etc...

• i agree with sacha. no need to parse unneeded data. i have done ot both ways. separate xml for mobile and some with them all in 1 xml using the devices tags. you could do like Hans does with his skins they are designed for ease of use on mobile devices and he keeps the same design for desktops. if you want to make separate xmls here is the html code to detect which platform the user is on.

• I do not really see any idea in making separate xml. I do it all with the devices settings in just a basic xml and a skin xml.

For a 12 pano tour the sizes are just 35 kb for the basic xml and 5kb for the skin. The javascript for the HTML5 is 100 kb and the swf file for flash is 114.
    You need to do some very complicated tours before the size has any impact on loading.

What I have started working on is templates which I can use for fully automatic tours with up to around 12 panoramas.
    I can then combine several of them with a menu that loads the xml so that you can easy create large tours where each of them can be individual but still with the same design and navigation.

Hans

• Thanks everyone!
    As I've almost finished the 60 pano tour for the art-school complete with voice-overs and embedded videos, I'll attempt a parallel iPad version using the very useful detection code supplied by VN.
    For my next substantial project I'll consider the other options.

Again many thanks for opening the Ipad door!

JL

• Hello Kev
    The desktop version of the 60+ pano tour is almost complete:

http://www.john-law.net/projects/curre…site/recep.html

It has voiceovers and embedded video. The latter is not yet available for iPad, I understand. So an iPad version is still 'pending'. However there is a 6pano tour of La Grande Arch that does work on iPad, using only hotspot navigation. I made that to see how difficult an ipad version of the art-school site would be & it proved quite 'doable'.

http://www.john-law.net/projects/current/nat/index.html

This is a simple one xml project. I have not yet got to grips with the parallel versions.

bw

JL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!