Special f/x within a pano..

• Hi everyone...

Long time since I have been here... But I have not been waisting my time... I have been playing with adding the possibilities of adding Water, Fire and 3D animated objects lip synched talking characters.. The question I have, would there be value to this or not.. Would you be interested in adding special f/x into your panos.... Or is it just silly stuff.. Talking of silly stuff.. I have included a couple of links below just for demo purposes.. I did this to test if the effects worked...

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/SpecialFX/…lFXinPanos.html
    What I need is a full 360 pano image of a lake scene to test if this works on a pano.. This ripple water effect is just coded using Flash... If anyone has an image I can use for this It would be great if you could send it to me...

and this one to test 3D objects including fire within the pano space....

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/interactive/3/TESTHOT.html

Obviously these are just demos with no particular purpose, they were created to test the movements within a pano.... I would be interested in hearing from anyone who might have some ideas on where/theme they could be used in.. I might have an opportunity to create a Pano Tour for a Kindergarden where I was thinking that I could crated animated 3D toons talking about the room in a silly toon voice... The fire might be good to use in a fire place in a old castle or the burning torches on the walls etc...

Anyway.. check them out and let me know what you think.. Silly *wacko* or Not so silly.... *g*

Destiny

Sometimes I might come across as being stupid; But I have an IQ of 137 *tongue*

• Not silly,

i think it's great!
    What did you use to make those 3D?
    I would be very interested in lipsync cartoon figures and the water is also nice!

AHoeben has also nice examples on his site. Not sure if that's the same technique.

I got also some fire from Zephyr..

Great stuff.. makes the pano's more alive...

Cheers
    Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi.. well thats good to hear *wink* ...

There are several techniques used...

All very much testing what can be done.... without creating tacky yucky graphics... I have a vision that the basic pano can be brought to life in many ways... Made more exciting and therefore providing more opportunities for clients to showcase their exhibits..

The animated arrows in the bathroom was modelled in Rhino, exported to 3D studio Max as an obj and then animated and rendered in glass map...
    This link will show you a bigger version of the arrow to appreciate the quality of the modelling and animation..
    http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/arrowHS/arrowshotspot.html
    I am now using a Mac which will not work on it so I have use Rhino and 3D Studio Max on my laptop with Windows 7...

The smilie was animated in Poser, I love this programme.. I can create lip synched characters which I feel might have great value rather than using a video..
    I will try to put an animated lip synched toon mouse in the next few days...

The fire is complicated.. That was done in Maya, and put together in Flash.... Maya has some of the most realistic special f/x in the 3D world of high end 3D software dynamics including smoke, mist and environmental elements can also be created... I am also playing around with putting the odd butterfly into my scenes.. I can even animate a dinosaur walking past a window, that would be funny... It would be a mater of creating lots of layers....

The water on the lake was created entirely in Flash...

A small flock of birds would look nice as well as a cloud of mist above the water with sunlight breaking through... So many ideas ...

Anway.. thank you for the positive feedback....

Destiny... *thumbsup*

• I have special effects too! :D

http://talentstoolkit.com/pano/game/?xml=pano/photo_1_1.xml

Click on the `torches´ on the pillars to turn on the ´light´

I made the flame just in after effects, hard part was to make it loop, so the movie is small.

There are ´items´ hidden in each panorama, onclick drops down 2 giant pillars that splash some sand-dust (alsoo in after effects). Rest of the world is created in 3d, interfaces in flash.

With the right 'special effects' you can certainly create more immersive panorama's

BTW for full immersive feeling, turn on the sound while in the game :)

small areas work well in the panorama, but you cant make them real big. Animating a giant lake, would require lots of distorted videohotspots, and controlled together by a controller who makes sure there isnt an issue with desyncing (youll see tile borders then).

• Yes, I was thinking of that too but a lake would look much better....

Its all very funny and cool stuff... I love seeing what will actually work...

Thank you for your comment *wink*

D

Hey Destiny, great approach.
    But you won't need a lake to test the water, just fill up your bathtub ;)

• Well done... When I did my Diploma of Multimedia Course a few years ago I did it on the Egyptian theme.... I have so many 3D items I created including a few nice torches... There are so many thing and ideas I want to try out, my brain is going nuts with it all and the possibilities...

Very exciting stuff...

D

• Hi... More goodies for you from 'Destiny Pano Graphics'!!... I have been playing with my own Thumb Navigation, today I have just uploaded my demo on my Playground Pano Showcase Page....

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/interactive/3/TESTHOT.html

Click on the ? on the menu buttons... These thumbs are not linked to my pano tour yet, the only thumb linked is the first one to Google to test it....

Unfortunately this will only be for Mac and PC's not iDevices yet... A few years ago I managed to get swf to work with no problems in all Microsoft apps using ActiveX, so I believe that one day someone will come up with a player of kinds so swf can work within an iDevice... So therefore I am not going to restrict what I am doing just for the sake of iDevices..

Let me know what you think...

D *tongue*

• Well this works on iPhone 4 (thumbs i don't know)

Also the animations ...
    Are they swf ?
    No
    How did you manage that??

Tuur *thumbsup*

• I have been playing with adding the possibilities of adding Water, Fire and 3D animated objects lip synched talking characters

i have made fire in a pano before and shimmering water both. only problem is i always use a fast computer so adding these type of graphics dont slow anything down. on slower, older pcs it really makes them stutter. escpecially the water. need to be able to turn them on and off for the reason alone. within a few more years even the crappy pcs that people will be using will be fast enough to run anything but today there are still too many old pcs with next to no video hardware and single core proccessors.

my fire effect was kind of cheesy i could have spent more time in the animated graphics but flash is still very new to me but i am learning. adding direction fire sound made the firepit noticable. http://www.virtualnorthland.com/panos/flagship/mnave/

• The water should work fine on any old pc and mac since its animated using code, not a sequence of images etc.... The file size is really love.. just 18kb.... The fire might struggle since that was crated in Maya and IS and sequence of images... Its just a play to test it anyway.. I will need to optimise it more.. I can make a bigger fire since it would be using the same graphic in a grouped area..

Did you like my Thumb nav on the menu buttons.. the '?"... Last on right....

Destiny *cool*

i have made fire in a pano before and shimmering water both. only problem is i always use a fast computer so adding these type of graphics dont slow anything down. on slower, older pcs it really makes them stutter. escpecially the water. need to be able to turn them on and off for the reason alone. within a few more years even the crappy pcs that people will be using will be fast enough to run anything but today there are still too many old pcs with next to no video hardware and single core proccessors.

my fire effect was kind of cheesy i could have spent more time in the animated graphics but flash is still very new to me but i am learning. adding direction fire sound made the firepit noticable. http://www.virtualnorthland.com/panos/flagship/mnave/

• The top bar with two thumbs will work on an iDevice but not the thumbs on the menu button with '?' That is a swf... Did you like it..???? I have not linked any to my pano's yet.. this is just to test the dynamic movement of the thumb images.. I will put url's on them soon... *wink*

Destiny

Well this works on iPhone 4 (thumbs i don't know)

Also the animations ...
    Are they swf ?
    No

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Unfortunately this link only partly worked... http://www.virtualnorthland.com/panos/flagship/mnave/

Errors came up so the skin would not work.. also,when I clicked on the bathroom link it locked up.. I did not see any fire or water, not sure if I was supposed to....

Funny, the old looking home did not look great but inside looks great... looks very remote...

D...

• Its all good now..... and it did not lock up this time.... yes.. I see what you mean about your fire... I thought it was a radiation leak.. *g*

If I give you my fire, will you change it....... if yes... what formate would you like.... ???

Did you check out my thumb images on the button with ? yet... did it work ok...??

Destiny..

i fixed the error. in the very first scene when it loads there is a flashing star over the firepit click that to see my horrid fire. it never locked up for me when navigating thoughout the entire house.

• No the animations are not swf, since they would not work on an iDevice anyway.. they infact, animated 64bit PNGs with Alpha Channel....

The only swf in my Pano is my new Thumb Navication on the ? button in the menus ... But I have an xml version at the top for the iDevices.. I am woking out how to make these two the alt so when people open my panos on an iDevice they get the top thumbs and when they open my pano's up on a Mac or PC, they get the swf version.... Its all getting very complicated... My brain hurts...!! *cursing*

Destiny.....

Well this works on iPhone 4 (thumbs i don't know)

Also the animations ...
    Are they swf ?
    No

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Well, thats got some really cool stuff in it.. its given me a whole bunch of ideas... Thank you for that... The animated character were real people I think.. but I still wonder how they managed to get the background to Alpha.. very interesting......

D

haha awesome :D Good lipsyncing :0

Ever seen this tour : http://www.stadtmaus.de/halloween-special (not by me btw)

your technique could fit in such projects

• FLV supports an alpha channel :) So instead of making a sequence of jpg's you just use PNG. Or you just could import the PNGs intoo Flash, and flash will create a timeline. FLV supports streaming and better syncing (since the audio track is in the video). while the SWF method needs own custom load bar and is bigger in filesize and bit harder to sync, but it allows for actionscript. Most websites load an FLV intoo a flashplayer and use actionscript to listen to onComplete handlers (or metadata, text below the vdieo, for instance subtitles or information about the video)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!