multires from really big panoramas

• Autopano has produced me a panorama from 250 pictures and I have saved it at a 11gig PSB-file. everything looks fine, photoshop CS4 handle the file nicely.
    So starts my troubles: how do I make a multires krpano from this PSB-file?
    Photoshop won't save the pano as TIFF, because it will exceed the 4gig limit for TIFFs.
    kmaketiles only accepts jpg and tiff.
    any suggestions ? (I use Vista 64bit)
    leif strand

• Hi,

did you try the LZW or ZIP compression for TIFF?
    maybe it helps to get the TIFF below 4GB...

a other way would be to split the image before with Photoshop into very large parts that can be saved as TIFF,
    and use this splited image as input for the kmaketiles tool,

e.g.
    if the image is 100.000 x 50.000 - save it as two files with 50.000 x 50.000,
    name it "image_1_1.tif" and "image_1_2.tif"

and then create the tiles manually with kmaketiles in this way:

Code
    kmaketiles image_%v_%u.tif tiles_l0_%v_%u.jpg 500 -insize=100000x50000 -intilesize=50000
    kmaketiles image_%v_%u.tif tiles_l1_%v_%u.jpg 500 -insize=100000x50000 -intilesize=50000 -resize=...

maybe this helps a little bit

best regards,
    Klaus

• I tried to save it as TIFF with LZW compression, but it exceeded the 4GB limit.

then I sliced the pano horisontally in upper and lower half. I processed both with kmakemultires, renamed the tiles in lower half to follow the tiles in the upper half. after editing the xml it was time to look at the result.

it was fine for the combined tileset, exept for the border between the upper and lower half. it was som kind of vertical stretching of the tiles while passing back and forth of the border.
    maybe some parameter in the kmakemultires can be turned on/off ?

the best solution would be to do as Gigatiler, accept PSB-files (in addition to jpg and tiff)
    this would be a natural development, since Autopano, PTgui and others can produse PSB-files when the limits for jpg and tiff are exceeded.

Leif *smile*

• it was fine for the combined tileset, exept for the border between the upper and lower half. it was som kind of vertical stretching of the tiles while passing back and forth of the border.
    maybe some parameter in the kmakemultires can be turned on/off ?

this could happen when the imagesize of the sliced part can't be divided perfectly by the tilesize,
    e.g. when the last row/column was smaller then the tilesize,

the best solution would be to do as Gigatiler, accept PSB-files (in addition to jpg and tiff)
    this would be a natural development, since Autopano, PTgui and others can produse PSB-files when the limits for jpg and tiff are exceeded.

right! this will be the best way, support for PSB files is already planned

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hey Klaus,

I am sitting here with a gigapixel panorama photography friend of mine looking at a 150 000 pixel wide partial panorama (90 degrees horizontal, 30 degree vertical). We will try to use the split image technique but will of course very much welcome the support of the PSB format. The panorama image was shot with a Rodeon HD ST rig and a 5D Mk II and a 600 mm lens.

Cheers,
    Kim

• Thanks
    so it seems it was added way back & I have the latest official version but when I drag a psb file a window pops up & then disappear nothing happenig to cut the large psb file into smaller tiles.

What could be the problem?

• I am not using any droplet instead I am dragging the psb file on to "kmaketiles" this is a program not a droplet & I dont see any droplet by that name.

Am I doing anything wrong here?
    I have Windows 7 x64 system if that matters.

edited
    I dragged a jpeg file on kmaketiles even that is not working (appear then disappear) seems some issue with the command prompt, though I am able to use the droplets & the command prompt windows works & takes the command which I type.

• Hi,

the kmaketiles tool can be only used to tiling and resizing images, and only from command line,
    there is no droplet for it because it must be used with parameters (e.g. the wanted tilesize),

here you will get more information about the kmaketiles tool: (or simply start the tool from command line without parameters)
    https://krpano.com/tools/kmaketiles/

but back to the topic - what do you what do?
    - only tile the image into small tiles (e.g. for editing)?
    - or building a pano with tiles?

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!