Help with getting iPhone/iPad version working...

• Hello all

firstly I would like to say what a great tool this is.

I tried the demo out and then yesterday I bought the license for the krpano and the iphone extension.

I am however having trouble getting it working.

I am not doing 'real' panoramas but rather using it to allow zooming of large images.

I put all the files I downloaded when testing in the folder with the unzipped licenses etc on my server.

I then put a BIG jpg in that folder and dragged it onto the MAKE OBJECT (MULTIRES) droplet.app

it created the various XML, HTML files and the folder for the pano.

I edited the HTML to have swf.addVariable("license","krpano.license.xml"); in it as I am using an IIS server

works great in normal browsers but I can't get it going in iPad/iPhone

The error I get is: ERROR: no iPhone / iPad images available!

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong??

here is my test page:

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/krpanotest/130430.html

many thanks!!
    :L

• Hi,

you're not doing something wrong, but - the iPhone/iPad Javascript Viewer supports only cubical panos,

see here:
    https://krpano.com/iphone/#howdoesitwork

The possibilities compared to Flash are limited. It's only possible to use cubical pano images. A triangle based 3D rendering, which would allow things like Fisheye / 'Little Planet' projections, spherical / cylindrical and partial panos is not possible with the CSS 3D transforms.

btw - the "MAKE PANO (FLAT)" droplet would be the right droplet for that image
    the OBJECT droplet should be used for objects like that - old slr

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hello Klaus

OK I have read through that How It Works page for iPone and now tried using the MAKE PANO (FLAT) droplet.app to create the files.

Once again I get the same error when viewing on an iPhone.

I have checked the kmakemultires.config and all the settings for mobile and tablet are as described in the How It Works iPhone page.

Yet when I check my XML file that MAKE PANO (FLAT) droplet.app creates it has no <mobile> or <tablet> elements in it...?

appreciate any help.

thanks once again for this great tool

That Old SLR link is amazing! I had no idea it could do that as well! What is the source material one needs to start with to create those?

• The MAKE OBJECT (MULTIRES) droplet will make an object movie if you drop all of the images at once. Be sure to number them in the order you want them to be.

As for the iphone images, try dropping the image in cubes instead.

and if you want to change sizes of the iPxxxxx cubes, add/replace this with the cube size you desire. otherwise it outputs the default sizes.

buildmobileimages=yes
    buildmobileres=320
    buildtabletimages=yes
    buildtabletres=1000

Edited once, last by Jarredja (July 30, 2010 at 5:49 AM).

• Hello Jarredja

thank you for your reply.

I will definitely have to try that MAKE OBJECT (MULTIRES) droplet with some suitable images - its a great effect.

WIth the other problem I am not sure what you mean by "try dropping the image in cubes instead"??

I will try making the changes to the config you suggest and report back.

Its great to receive such excellent support from this forum! Many thanks

• I assume you are using a equirectangle image as an input to the make pano (flat). Instead, convert it to cubes using either the convert to cubes (jpg) or (tif). then take these 6 cubes all at once and input it into the make pano (flat) With windows, you copy and paste onto the bat files. I don't know how it works with a MAC.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Hello again.

My original image is just a JPG.

About 3000px wide

Although I really should explain my ultimate goal for using this tool is to replace the Zoomify viewer we currently use at the museum.

We have around 70,000 images which have already been turned into zoomifys and we use the zoomify viewer to show on our site:

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/

I was attracted to krpano for several reasons:

- the same viewer can be used to show these zoomifys and older panoramas and so on we have.
    - the viewer is more configurable that the zoomify viewer
    - the viewer has an iphone and ipad version (these devices are becoming increasingly important in the museum space)

So I guess my question _really_ is about getting existing zoomifys working through krpano on the iphone/ipad

I have managed to get them working in a browser quite nicely with this XML:

<image type="ZOOMIFY" hfov="0.50" >
    <zoomify type="CYLINDER" url="130430orig/ImageProperties.xml" />
    </image>

Is there some sort of <mobile> and/or <tablet> tags I need to put inside the <image> tag to make them work on iPxxxxx devices?

Due to the large number of existing zoomifys I really don't want to have to reprocess all 70,000+ images!

Thanks for your help.

• There is an example of the xml code and also the html needed to make the iPxxxx devices work in the viewer example folder labeled iphone-ipad. However, you will need 6 cubes for the devices to show the panos. The tools can take a equirectangle, 2:1 ratio, in other words, 3000 x 1500 and output the different sizes that will load best for each device. If your images aren't exactly 2:1, you could pad the bottom and put a cap on it. However, 70,000 times would take forever.

But for the iPxxx software to work(at this moment) it has to be 6 equil cubes that make up 360x180 degrees.

• OK I think I am starting to understand.

The iphone/ipad example is for a panorama (where you can look around and up and down) - I am only interested in zooming a flat picture - do I still need to make a cube of images? Should I use the same image six times?

thanks very much.

• So just to be absolutely clear at this stage the iPhone/iPad viewer does not currently display flat 2D image zooming for zoomifys??

correct?

And may I ask is there any plan to make it support them in the future?

many thanks

• Thank you for the information Klaus; I really appreciate your response.

I hope you can make it work on iPxxxxx - my initial thoughts on it are that it wouldn't be too hard since it doesn't involve calculations or transforms - just scaling (which those devices have some native ability for?) - but I am sure you would know much better!

anyway. I am grateful for the response and will use your tool where ever I can.

many thanks

Tschüß

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!