map plugin for image based maps

• based upon comments in this thread... http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/inde…ad&threadID=216

I was thinking it would be good to have a plugin that had the same basic functionality as the googlemaps plugin (http://www.krpano.com/plugins/googlemaps/) but instead of having to pull in map data from google... we could specify an image file to use for the map.

It could share some of the same basic functions / structure as the googlemaps plugin... i.e. radar and spots subnodes along with the same type of predefined actions like pantospot, activatespot, etc...

Rough brainstorm...
    - you'd have a map.swf
    - with attributes like...
    - url to swf
    - imageurl for the map image
    - usual position information
    - usual size information
    - imagescale - for setting initial image size... with the image size capable of being larger than the plugin defined size, allowing scrolling / zooming
    -??

Could be interesting?

And, to really ice the cake... setup the map plugin to accept multi-resolution image files... so as it's zoomed in/out different tiles are loaded.

This also sounds a bit like what someone else asked about in being able to have a "pano" within the "pano"... just a nomenclature difference with hotspots = mapspots.

Sometimes I wish I knew how to program in flash.... but sometimes I just like coming up with the ideas. *cool*

Graydon

• Hi,

the google maps API allows also to use custom tile-maps,
    I think this would be the easiest method for supporting also other maps,
    the handling would be the same like a normal map, and the map could
    be also switched very easy
    I have this already planned, but I think it will still take some time...

but there would one disadvantage - a online connection to goolge maps
    would be still needed, would this be a problem?

best regards,
    Klaus

• I don't see it as a problem unless someone is planning on creating offline content.

Well... maybe a second thought... If the custom tile maps are based upon setting them to a lat / lon ... and do not allow the use of pixel based dimensional locations for spots... that might make it difficult when setting up a tour of something like a house or business... or any other location that has relatively small lat/lon changes between spots. But that is just speculation *unsure*

• while we are talking features for a future "map" plugin of some sorts... how about this one...

The ability to define / set when a mapspot shows up on the map based upon the zoom level.

So... if I've set my initial zoom level to 10, it only shows spots A, B and C... but if I've zoomed in to level 13, spots e, f, g, h... will show up.

Well... maybe a second thought... If the custom tile maps are based upon setting them to a lat / lon ... and do not allow the use of pixel based dimensional locations for spots... that might make it difficult when setting up a tour of something like a house or business... or any other location that has relatively small lat/lon changes between spots. But that is just speculation

I think it would be also possible to define a own/custom coordinate system for the map,
    but I'm not sure, I must research that too, but there will be a way (and when it needs automatic recalculation)

The ability to define / set when a mapspot shows up on the map based upon the zoom level.
    So... if I've set my initial zoom level to 10, it only shows spots A, B and C... but if I've zoomed in to level 13, spots e, f, g, h... will show up.

thanks, good idea, I will add that!

• yes, of course the radar plugin can be used too for that,
    but Graydon asked about:

It could share some of the same basic functions / structure as the googlemaps plugin... i.e. radar and spots subnodes along with the same type of predefined actions like pantospot, activatespot, etc...

and zooming and multi-resolution

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!