Oslo cityscape gigapan (7.5 gigapixel)

• This is a 360 degree 7.5 gigapixel panorama from Norway Oslo using krpano.
    It's the largest panorama I've yet created... I've used default settings, and I'm curious if I could (or even need to?) tweak them to make a smoother and faster-loading panorama. It seems a little sluggish to me at the moment compared to smaller panoramas I've made earlier.
    (The data output using the MAKE PANO (MULTIRES) droplet resulted in 23500 files ~880 MB)

Have a look, and feel free to give me feedback on what you think...

http://gigapan.no/torshov-360/

• Great!!

it loads nice here in Holland, not very quick.. but oke

next time put your camera bag somewhere out of sight *wink*

i think a good job, but the i think you could find a better place as a shooting position... but that's my opinion..

Have to do something like this my self..

Cheers
    Tuur *thumbsup*

• this pano does not seem level. it is always bowed. i checked the other gigapanos on your site and they all have that bend to them. the horizon is never straight. also i noticed alot of banding in the skies. you can see a whiteish cap on this last one you posted. i have never used gigapan stich for stiching but something seems wrong.

• this pano does not seem level. it is always bowed. i checked the other gigapanos on your site and they all have that bend to them. the horizon is never straight. also i noticed alot of banding in the skies. you can see a whiteish cap on this last one you posted. i have never used gigapan stich for stiching but something seems wrong.

Hi there
    It is level, it's just that I have put the horizon a little below the normal to get a horizon that is bended to create the illusion that you are higher up than you really are. I talked to my co-workers before I did this, and they all agreed this is a nice and easy "effect" to do to create this illusion.
    Also, Oslo is a city that is located in neverending downhill slope, so there will never be a perfectly straight horizon. Look at the walls on buildings, and you will see they are straight and not at an angle :)

In regards of blending issues on the sky.... yes, I know GigaPan Stich has a lot of issues with this and I really dont know why this happens.
    I've been testing Autopano, but this software does not handle panoramas shot with Gigapan at all. It keeps crashing when it's detecting (the forum is full of Gigapan users complaining about this). (I dont understand why it has to detect at all when shoot using a motorized automatic panorama head, tho)
    I'm not able to edit such a large panorama as this in Photoshop. I'm running Win 7 x32 with 3GB RAM, so it's literally impossible to edit the image file. Opening the file takes almost one hour. Flattening and saving it takes two hours. Everytime I use a tool the software locks up for 30 seconds... It's simply too large for my computer to handle.
    ... so this is why I'm stuck with GigaPan Stich.

If you have any suggestions for alternatives to Autopano Giga and GigaPan Stich please let me know :)

• i think a good job, but the i think you could find a better place as a shooting position... but that's my opinion..

Have to do something like this my self..

I've done several gigapans from all over Oslo (check the website), and I'm going to make many more in the future :) So this location is not "final". It's just one of many.

And yes, you should try to do a gigapixel panorama yourself. It's so much fun :D

• I am leaving town today on a job. I will get back to you with some solutions. Did you use the Gigapan import filter when you were using Autopano Giga? Have to go

• Did you use the Gigapan import filter when you were using Autopano Giga?

Yes, I've tried using the Gigapan importer, but I keep getting error messages:

I have reported this in the bug forum at autopano.net ... but still no solution. So I'm stuck with Gigapan Stitch

I've looked at PTGui, but it's not able to position the images in the sky when you have a clear blue or white/grey sky. And it's impossible to do this manually.
    Are there any other software solutions out there that will manage this in the same way as Gigapan Stitch?

• 1. a. Are you using Autopano Giga?
    b. Can you provide a link to the message that you posted on the autopano forum? Writing concise bug reports with specifics such as how many images, the image format type, OS, amount of system memory, version of autopano stitcher.

2. Ptgui, manual image movement, image parameters tab
    a. Ptgui allows you to manually move the images numerically or with a mouse. When you press the advanced tab at the upper right hand side, you will see a image parameters tab where you can numerically move images. Also in the editor window you are able to change the mode so that any image you hover over will communicate which image it is. You can also change it to show the individual images and quickly pass through the images to see which ones are grossly misplaced.
    b. This tutorial has a photograph of the image parameters tab in advanced mode. This tutorial is dealing with a 360 degree pano, but it communicates what I am discussing at step number six. Click on the image at step six.

http://lookdigital.eu/index.php?page=tutorials_ptgui

3. Microsoft ICE has a new structured panorama mode that was designed to be used with photos that were captured with robotic imagers.
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!