KRCE - Krpano code editor

• Hi!
    Some weeks ago I have made a krpano code editor for myself, but I think it can be good for other people too.

I have concentrated on to make a tool that help me to easier manage with many scenes and quicker writing the code.
    The main part is code editor with help database and code completion database for quickly inserting the code parts.
    There is also picture croping module that allows quickly crop a part from image, save it as image and thumnibal of this image and write as plugin (using a pattern) to the code editor.
    And some other tricks...

So, I have question. *wink* Can it be worth of about 40 bucks for you?
    If you are interesting in such a program, let me know that here, ok?

Best Regards
    Greg

• Hi Greg,

The tool looks prety good! But I've some questions:
    How are the System requirements? Is the tool running in Java or do you have the tool for Windows, Linux and OS X avaiable?
    Is the tool stable, or still in a Beta mode? Could you send us some more details, e.g. do yo have a framework with generic brick arrays to have standard values coded in a fast way? Are there more values available then with the editor plugin?

Thanks for your feedback.

Christoph

• Hi!

The program works on windows and linux (under wine) and is stable. Naturally I have some ideas to implement yet, like bookmarks for example and so on. I have to write the help for the program, but most features is easy to understand, I hope.

The project tree is based on some insertion lines in the xml code. I have made it in this way so that the user can easy adjust his old xml files to be opened in the editor. It works in this way if you want to use your old krpano xml project:
    In the xml file we insert the comment lines like "<!-- [section,Name_in_the_tree,Indent_in_the_tree,Checked,reserved,reserved,] -->", for example:

So, the program parses the file and everything after the section descriptor is taken as text of this section.

Code completion is based on the easy to edit database wchich has its own module in program. Additionally, you can select any portion of text in the editor and press Ctrl+D to add the selected text to code complete database.

Another feature is autonumbering. In any section (for example section with thumbnibals) we insert at the top the line: <!-- *** AUTONUMBERS,start,incrementation, *** -->, and in the code we put #inc# symbol, so that in the process of creating destination xml file the the #inc# will be replaced with the fixed values:

Code
    <!-- *** AUTONUMBERS,5,100, *** -->
    <plugin name="thumb1"
      x="#inc#"
    <plugin name="thumb2"
      x="#inc#"
    />

gives us:

Code
    <plugin name="thumb1"
      x="5"
    <plugin name="thumb2"
      x="105"
    />

What I have implemented for now is internal browser module with programable quick acces links, internal any file's editor, quick finding of any word in all section (for example you select the name of plugin to find where you use it in the code).

Regards
    Greg

• Hi!

I have prepared a fully functional version, except saving the project possibility.
    The program is here: krce
    Unpack the KRCE folder and run the krce.exe file.

What must be done is the help, but for quick start I write it here *wink* :

1. Create new project (the text of project will be copied from pattern file which is "main folder\!patterns\pat-newproject.krce").
    2. Or open the existed "testproject.krce". The projects are the xml files, the same like other except they have some lines which divide that file to sections. So you can rename (or even better copy it) your krpano xml file to *.krce file, and insert some lines like "<!-- [section,KRPANO,0,x,r,r] -->" to divide the file. And then open it in the program.
    3. Write some code to test.
    4. To generate the destination xml file press the "Create XML" button. You will be asked for the name of the file. Save it as test.xml.
    5. The program will ask for the preview html file. Open the test.html file.
    6. Try other buttons, try the functions hidden under right mouse button, and so on.

Ask me then more here... *wink*

Regards
    Greg

• Does this software have a way to click to place a hotspot? I have taken a second look today and have discovered a few tricks that I could not figure out previously regarding the code stored on the right hand side of the app. How do you get the pano image below the coding window in the example above?

Edited once, last by Jarredja (June 12, 2010 at 7:32 PM).

• Looks very interesting but one thing that limits ability to use it is that all of the computers we use at work to do projects with krpano are running OS X and there's just no chance that we would switch to Windows. If cross-platform version of KRCE would be developed (maybe with something like Qt UI library?), it surely wouldn't big cost of paying 40 euros for the software if it helps to save good amount of time.

It would be also interesting to have some kind of extended debugger that would help if there are problems in XML files or actions (I know that code completion helps much but there should be bit more besides XML syntax checking).

• Hi!

After some weeks I see there is no interesting in such program, so I will not develop this program. *wink*
    I think most of users don't make big amount of complicated virtual tours, and simple text editor is enough for them to manage with the code.

Greetings
    Greg

• Pretty sure this is not the most efficient way, but here is what I did to try it out.

I took a tour I already had and pasted the entire tour (xml, .swf, html, plugins, tiles, etc ) into the folder
    krce/!sys

Then I renamed the html to be blank.html replacing the one in the folder.

Take your starting xml and rename it to end with .krce instead of xml. Also add the line

<!-- [section,KRPANO,0,x,r,r] -->

above the <krpano> in your xml

You can add more dividers if you wish, or if you start with an xml with only the image files and you can add the dividers as you see fit while adding code.

Click open and locate
    your starting xml.krce

I noticed this program leans toward scenes but works equally well with separate xml's if you use it right.

----

As for the code on the right, you can start typing something like "hot" as if to type hotspot. There is a section that does autofill that you arrow down and click enter to select. You can reprogram as you see fit or you can view the code on the right. To copy the code on right, select what you wish to copy by highlighting it and then rightclick in the CODING BOX and select "copy selected help text"

I am sure I am missing several features and there is a lot that you would want customized for your use, but overall it seems to have promise.

As a suggestion to anyone trying the software, I would add the cursorposition.swf and get hotspot coordinates in the pano at the bottom while staring at the code. Perhaps there is already a better way hidden in the program.

I am starting a code library on my own where I am trying to save an xml with each process that I wish to use, so that I don't have to search the forum when there is something I want to try (and can't figure out). This program does that well.

Hopefully this helps others to evaluate the software so that Bazuki will give it another chance.

As far as I can see, it doesn't write the tour for you, but provides good information at your fingertips to help you along.

Edited once, last by Jarredja (June 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM).

• I think most of users don't make big amount of complicated virtual tours, and simple text editor is enough for them to manage with the code.

Surely, I'm having fun with my own text editor but just have been wanting better way for defining hotspots. Are using actions for moving from place to another so that it's possible to define changes from single file that's included to XML document. Problem is just finding right locations for hotspots fast as possible + being able to have autocomplete of my own Actions so it would be faster to define them. (Depending on the project, might have 10–80 panoramas so it's important to have good way for defining Hotspots for movement as it's currently too slow process to do with text editor.;)

Haven't tested your software yet since I don't have any Windows installations around…

• Hi Greg,

I think you made a great job here. Most useful is the help index with code examples.
    I'm goinng to test it on one project and will let you know my experience.

Best Regards
    Michal

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!