• Hello,

I have been testing the latest MAKE PANO (MULTIRES) droplet.app from krpanotools-1.0.8-beta9-mac-2010-01-19.

I started with a 6324 pixel wide equirectangular tiff processed using the default settings. On closer inspection, I can find some very bad seams such as this one:

Most of the other corner seams are also visible and I can trace them throughout the panorama.

Changing the jpeg quality had no effect. I suspect this may have something to do with the size of the source image.

Is this a problem/limitation with the kmakemultires tool? Is there perhaps a minimum source image size below which I should not use the tool?

Are there perhaps some display settings I should be using to minimize seamy panoramas?

Cheers,
    Joe

• Hi,

this "seams" are the effect of the pixel interpolation when scaling/zooming much more than the original pixel size,
    and this seams are only visible on the bounds of a tile and only because of the zoomed rendering,
    (the original tiles/images doesn't contain any seams)

with normal scaling/zooming (not over the pixelsize, e.g. by using maxpixelzoom="1.0"),
    this effect will not happen,

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hello,

Don't you love it when users abuse your software? *rolleyes*

This is mostly a result of me exploring the software to find various limits and to see what results from exploring various parameters ....

In any case the seams in this image appeared to be quite bad, so I thought it might be worth a note.

Upon further exploration, I found that stillquality significantly affects the seam visibility. They are most visible for HIGHSHARP and nearly invisible for LOW. The seams were most evident in high contrast areas, which makes sense.

With my old images my last step was to sharpen them before generating the panorama. With krpano, is it better to leave images unsharpened and use HIGHSHARP, or still sharpen the source images and use a lower setting?

Cheers,
    Joe

• Hi,

Don't you love it when users abuse your software? *rolleyes*

This is mostly a result of me exploring the software to find various limits and to see what results from exploring various parameters ....

In any case the seams in this image appeared to be quite bad, so I thought it might be worth a note.

I know this effect and I just wanted to explain that this is not a problem in the generated tiles or the tools (because you have posted here in the tools subforum).

The tiles are separated images, and the pixel interpolation when scaling in the Flashplayer doesn't/can't operate over different tiles. A solution would be to generate overlapped tiles and skip the overlapped pixels when rendering. Maybe this will be added in one of the further versions.

But this interpolation between tiles issue will be only visible when scaling/zooming over the 100% (1:1) pixel view. When e.g. the maxpixelzoom="1.0" setting will be used (default in all droplet templates), that means for normal viewing that shouldn't be a problem...

Upon further exploration, I found that stillquality significantly affects the seam visibility. They are most visible for HIGHSHARP and nearly invisible for LOW. The seams were most evident in high contrast areas, which makes sense.

yes, the sharping is a post process effect, it enhances the pixel contrasts and therefore also the seams,

With my old images my last step was to sharpen them before generating the panorama. With krpano, is it better to leave images unsharpened and use HIGHSHARP, or still sharpen the source images and use a lower setting?

that can't be generatelly said, try also the Flash10 rendering, in Flash9 rendering mode the Flashplayer does automatic "mipmapping", which makes smaller scaled images smoother, and with applied sharpen effect that will look good, but without "mipmapping" in Flash10 rendering mode, additional sharpening can be sometimes too much, just try what fits your needs best...

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!