MULTIRES vs. NORMAL

• If a final stitched pano is 6324 × 3162, Is there any real reason to use MULTIRES instead of NORMAL? I've tested both and don't notice any quality difference. Just curious if the MULTIRES with its many tiles is superior to the six tiles that the NORMAL produces in terms of loading, etc. when live on a site?

• In theory wouldn't the multires version open much faster in lower res when embedded in a blog post or a small window? If the user views it in fullscreen mode the high res version would load.

Testing this out is one of the many things on my to do list as well as adjusting the multires settings. With screen sizes growing I'd like to have image files that will look well on a 30" monitor while still loading in about a second when the smaller version is embedded in a webpage.

Phil

• hmmm not sure. actually after retesting the MULTIRES vs NORMAL with an external actionscript interface it seems like the NORMAL picks up speed quicker than the MULTIRES. would be interested to hear other test results for this type of optimization.

• i think there is a bug with the way multires loads tiles. i am not 100% sure but i think i read it is not downloading just the low rez tiles first like it should. I dont think there is any reason to use multirez unless the pano is larger than 10000x5000. Just my opinion though.

• Hi,

In theory wouldn't the multires version open much faster in lower res when embedded in a blog post or a small window? If the user views it in fullscreen mode the high res version would load.

hmmm not sure. actually after retesting the MULTIRES vs NORMAL with an external actionscript interface it seems like the NORMAL picks up speed quicker than the MULTIRES. would be interested to hear other test results for this type of optimization.

it can't be said generally which one is faster, it depends very much on the internet connection and server speed,

the speed of the loading can be also improved by increasing the number of simultaneous connections to the server,
    see here:
    https://krpano.com/docu/xml/#network

i think there is a bug with the way multires loads tiles. i am not 100% sure but i think i read it is not downloading just the low rez tiles first like it should. I dont think there is any reason to use multirez unless the pano is larger than 10000x5000. Just my opinion though.

it's not a bug, it's a feature

see here the "download" setting for the level tag:
    https://krpano.com/docu/xml/#multires

smaller level sizes will be automatically preloaded by default,

to change that - add that setting to each level tag:

Code
    <level .... download="view">

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!