Voting - Should the name of the license owner be displayed in the right-click context menu?

• Should the name of the license owner be displayed in the right-click context menu? 77

1. yes (37) 48%
    2. yes, but only when using external, non-embedded license files (19) 25%
    3. no (21) 27%

Hi,

a voting regarding to this request here:
    simple protection

should the "Registered to:" name which is normally displayed only in the Output Log ('o' key), also be displayed in the right-click context menu? (customizable of course!)

• Why miss a new feature *wink* ... If it is customizable *thumbup*

I mean to have the "Registered to:" Name always displayed in context menu,
    but customizable in a way like that:

a custom context menu via this xml definitions:
    https://krpano.com/docu/xml/#contextmenu

and then with an item like:

Code
    <item name="item3" caption="Registered to: %REGNAME%" ... />

where the %REGNAME% will be replaced with the name from the license file,

and when there is no item with this placeholder, a default one would be added...

but I'm not sure if everyone wants that?...
    therefore this voting!

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

Krprotect is a good idea but, if the name of the licensed by KRPANO panographer was shown somewhere in the menu, it would be rather persuasive against the idea to use a key of a stolen license.

In my point of view, this new feature would be interesting when Kprotect is not used, making the licence more save (as Hub said)... but it is less interesting when krprotect is used (the context menu is all ready customisable, so if some one need to display something...). Don't you think so?

SAlut.

• In my point of view, this new feature would be interesting when Kprotect is not used, making the licence more save (as Hub said)... but it is less interesting when krprotect is used (the context menu is all ready customisable, so if some one need to display something...). Don't you think so?

that would be also a possibility of course - show that only when an external license file will be used...
    I have adapted the voting for it.

• I understand the idea to more personalize what can be stolen from the web. But nevertheless I voted for "no". I have mainly 2 reasons:

1. The language. I sell the panos only in Germany, an additional english string is not really welcome. I even have to argue for the current english strings that are not under my control.
    2. krpano is that freely programmable that everyone can easily add as many new right menu entries as he likes (and in his prefered language). I see no reason why a shortcut to that is needed. It might be an idea to add that to one (or all) of the templates instead of hard coding the menu entry into the krpano.swf.

Michael

• It should be more obvious when someone is using a license they did not purchase. But on a protected Krpano is should be our choice if we wish to display whom the license is registered to.

Edited 5 times, last by odysseyjason (December 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM).

• I tried to look at it several ways and decided that if you are going to expose the license itself on the internet, it should have some type of protection. While some may still not be deterred from stealing the license, it would be a deterrent to others.

Of course, if you do not want that information posted on your panoramas simply use the kprotect option to protect the license as was mentioned. It might help others decide to purchase the tools, which in my opinion should be purchased anyway. Now with the new image encryption, kprotect is awesome. ( not that it wasn't before) *g*

In my opinion, you should never provide your license to your customers unless it is embedded in the .swf along with XML to prevent the use for something other than your provided tour.

As for the language issue mentioned above, can't the text be written in your language? I believe the English version would be included automatically only if you did not set up the context menu yourself.

The only issue I see is perhaps some might want the displayed name changed, such as their business name as opposed to their personal name. That would require a change in the license file by Klaus. (more work) *cry*
    Perhaps someone has a different opinion.

Edited 2 times, last by Jarredja (December 6, 2009 at 3:50 PM).

• As long as you are making changes to the license I would like to be able to cross link files if both servers are licensed. i.e. host some xml or tiles on my server that I cross link from my client's server. I have made sure my client has a license and I have one. This would allow me to make changes more quickly from my server rather than making changes and sending them to the client to upload to his server.

• Hi,

thanks for all votes and opinions!
    I hadn't thought that so many would be okay with showing the license owner name,
    it was just an idea because of a request.

I will not add it intermediately, but I will think about it,
    and when added it will be customizable and only for external license files of course!

I would like to be able to cross link files if both servers

cross linkings is possible, but here are flash restrictions about cross-domain access (crossdomain.xml) that makes using that difficult...

It would be much more useful if I could enter my client's name than mine!

you could already customize the context menu:
    please have a look here:
    https://krpano.com/docu/xml/#contextmenu

best regards,
    Klaus

• Just seeing this one...

Additional food for though: This is only an issue for multi-site license. The ways it is currently sold, if you have multi-site, then you also have the tools, and KRProtect is your friend: you can easily generate a krpano.swf for all your sites and there is no need to expose your license key.

I have nothing against the idea of having the license owner in the context menu, but I don't feel it's really needed.

• Hi,

i want to disable kr pano about on right click
    its possible?
    i have krpano Flash Panorama Viewer - Branding Free License
    how can i do this?

when you have the Branding Free License then just copy it also into the tools folder,
    the krpano MAKE PANO / MAKE VTOUR droplets will use it automatically,

additionally you can use the kprotect tool, check there the Branding Free Option and build a custom viewer swf file,

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!