Walkthrough effect with multiple images

• For plain run-of-the-mill pano tours you might be correct. I think many real estate agent would jump at the chance to cut costs on virtual tours, even if this means less custom features and a lesser quality. I mean, streetview is the standards nowadays, so everything better than that will be seen as hi-quality.

And let's be honest, 99% of the real estate tours you find are all the same, so it is actually surprising it took so long for some method to come along and take out the photographer/programmer entirely. The same thing happened to most traditional real estate photographers some time ago! The agent just walks along blissfully with a 5D mark III and a beginners evening course toggin and it's good enough apparently!

I think it is important for tour creators to start understanding that the product isn't the panorama or even the tour. A panorama or tour alone is, at best, just a novelty. The panorama should be considered the platform or the canvas on which you project content in such a way that the content makes sense.

Some projects do this, most don't.. Probably because there is a lot of work involved with building such a project and generally the tools that are available for quickly and intuitively adding content proper to a panorama context are really rudimentary and generally suck. Frankly I'm often gobsmacked by some people who go around telling how long it takes to build and tweak a panotour on-top of the image processing and seeming they're proud of it as well! It's not something good, it simply is the lack of a pro tool-set on the output end.

Competing with something like Matterport or in any market that basically wants rooms with arrows will be hard enough, but without a professional tool-chain, I can't imagine how real estate virtual tour operators will not suffer the same fate as the traditional real estate protog.

Well, that probably ruffled some feathers, but mind it's all for the sake of keeping this gig going!...

Virtual Pete is right, if you want to compete with the trend that Matterport represents, you will have to figure out what you can do with some rooms with arrow that an automated idiot-proof concept can't.

• Hi Scott
    thanks for sharing the process. Will try Pano Fetch to see where I can use these in my projects. Yes. Your Panos show the work put in them. Great.

virtual pete
    You hit the nail on the head. We need to pick the good features available in other solutions and try and incorporate these in krpano to make it more versatile. Whether the customer wishes to have them and pays for them or not is his prerogative, but not having them might handicap us during our initial presentations.

Would be nice if other interested members can contribute their ideas to this.

• Timescale was apt in saying:

Zitat

It looks like a nice complete package consisting of a automated camera platform, photogrammetry software, panorama software cloud system and a viewer platform, but that is about the gist of it. It is a easy to use all-in-one solution.

Matterport does not use photogrammetry. It actually does use a 3D scanner that does build out a full OBJ/Mesh system. Users navigate through the 3D model, while inside spherical projections. It's a hamster in a hamster ball. During transitions, the two panoramas cross-fade with the 3D mesh. This is what enables smooth transitions. It's similar to the ZoomBlend feature of krpano in concept, but very different as there are 3 elements that are being blended.

Photogrammetry is an EXCELLENT technology and I can easily see some amazing Matterport-like platforms being built off of this.

As a 2D platform, KRPano could replicate similar navigation if it were to project tours in a 3D world on a 2D plane. ThreeJS or BabylonJS would be the ideal platforms for developing such a thing.

To see an example of a non-Matterport implementation of such an idea, you can visit:

http://www.christiangreysapartment.com

--

I'm a Matterport Service Partner and transitioned most of my clients from traditional 360 panorama tours with links as Matterport offers the ability to create a massive panorama tour with hundreds of panoramas that are automatically and perfectly placed within a 3D world. This negates the need for navigation links being created and allows for a workflow that is easily scalable. The end product is the closest thing to a standard that exists in the virtual tour market. As a 'standard', it's easier to communicate the value and price point of a Matterport tour than a traditional virtual tour.

The downsides to Matterport are the upsides to working with KRPano. You cannot edit the panoramas. You cannot embed rich media content (yet) and when you are able to embed rich media content it will be restricted to the manner that Matterport allows. In addition, Matterport prohibits extraction of the panoramas to use with Google Street View or Facebook.

Thus, Matterport really is an excellent solution to offer in additional to traditional virtual tours. It does not benefit me to promote Matterport as obviously I am encouraging competition -- however, I am loved the thread here in the community and felt that it would be great to jump in and contribute.

We have many active conversations about Matterport and other virtual tour technologies at http://www.we-get-around.com and Matterport have their own community at community.matterport.com. We-Get-Around would be an excellent place for KRPano to establish a presence as there are many photographers there who need additional solutions that go beyond what Matterport offer. Matterport's community is an excellent place to research more information about Matterport.

--

Again, you guys are awesome and I'm a HUGE fan of KRPano and the EXCELLENT CLI krpano tools utility.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!