Could someone explain the "Callwith();" action?

• I'm having a lot of trouble understanding exactly what the Callwith(); action does, but I have a strong feeling I could make use of it, I've looked through the forum and the documentation and still don't get it, there's not much about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alberto.

• Thank you very much for your prompt response, sachagriffin, as always you are very kind and knowledgeable. I haven't really understood completely, is it something like: hotspot[get(name)].textaction();???

could you give a specific example of where this could come in handy?

• Hi,
    no special significance, this function has no
    instead

Code
    <action name="action1" >
       action2(%1,%2));
    </action>
    <action name="action2" >
       tween(hotspot[%1].alpha, %2);
    </action>

You can write

Code
    <action name="action1" >
       callwith(hotspot[%1], action2(%2));
    </action>
    <action name="action2" >
       tween(alpha, %1);
    </action>

Serge

• Thank you very much for your prompt response, sachagriffin, as always you are very kind and knowledgeable. I haven't really understood completely, is it something like: hotspot[get(name)].textaction();???

could you give a specific example of where this could come in handy?

<hotspot name="box onclick="tween(alpha,0);doawholebunchmore stuff();"

so if you have another function and you want to tween boxes alpha and doawholebunchmore stuff(), but instead of

Code
    <action name="test">
    tween(hotspot[box].alpha,0);
    doawholebunchmore stuff();
    </action>

You could do

hotspot[box].onclick();

No no you can't because the alpha has lost its scope.

so its
    callwith(hotspot[box],onclick);

plus actions called from layers and hotspots oftentimes use the short cuts [ x, y, name ]etc to do effects. just calling hotspot[box].onclick() wouldn't work correctly unless you replaced all your shortcuts with the full name of the hotspot.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!