VR not working in customer's iphone 5 and galaxy S6 edge

• Hi,

I made a panorama vr experience using the 1.19pr2 pre-release.

I've had a customer complain that they can't see the cardboard icon when using a galaxy S6 edge and an iphone 5.
    I've tested on a LG g3 and a galaxy S6 (not edge) and it's fine ... *confused*

Is there a way to remedy this?

Maybe I can force VR to be on at startup ?

This is sort of a big deal. We really need to know what the hardware requirements are for mobile VR and cardboard.
    The link in question:

http://www.intovirtual.nl/soomedia/

gr
    s

Edited once, last by sndrbr (July 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM).

• Hi,

About the S6:
    The Android Chrome browser is blacklisting the GPU of the Samsung S6 and therefore no WebGL is available.

You can change that by following these instructions:
    Web VR on Note 4

About the iPhone 5:
    iOS 8 or higher is required, WebGL support with introduced with iOS 8. I assume your customer is using an older version.

About forcing VR on startup:
    Make a kind of intro screen or intro button and call the enterVR() action when clicking on it.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

Thank you for replying.

Forcing VR is not realy an option when webgl is not available is it ?

Also, my old nexus tablet does have webgl, but does not offer the vr experience. What is the parameter here, just for my understanding on the matter ?

gr.s

Edited once, last by sndrbr (July 28, 2015 at 8:34 PM).

• Hi
    I have checked this with my Samsung S6 edge with google chrome after following the procedure as per Klaus and it works perfectly fine. However, when I try the firefox (beta version), the movements are very jerky and not at all smooth. The reason why I am mentioning this is because, I have a similar problem with the vr I just developed.

I would like to showcase this off-line to my customers but on the off-line mode, Google crhome does not appear in the list of browsers to be selected. I only have firefox and nightly both of which give this jerky pan. I assumed this to be a problem with my phone, but now I check this on-line with firefox, I get the same result.

Is there some thing to be done similar on the firefox too?

Rgds
    GP

• Is there some thing to be done similar on the firefox too?

I don't know, but I can confirm, on some devices the Android Firefox browser has a worse WebGL performance compared to Chrome. That might be GPU or GPU driver depended and I'm not sure, but I think older Android Firefox versions were better here...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!