Gyroscope viewing not correct with a panorama

• Hello,

I am a new user of krpano. Great product and very easy to start using! Congratulations for the krpano team!

Today I uploaded my first gigapixel panorama. It is a little more than 4.1 gigapixels.

http://www.xlpano.com/Iskrets/tour.html

Everything went fine but when I try to view it on my iPhone 6 Plus, it looks OK until I enable the gyroscope viewing - then it begins jumping randomly in various directions as if I have zoomed too much and shaking the device. However, this behavior is the same when I am viewing with no zoom.

Looked around for already solved issue like this but couldn't find. Sorry if I didn't see it.

Stoyan

• This is the latest Krpano version.

If flat pano's are not behaving well, then should I re-convert it as Spherical or Cylindrical instead?

Talking about that I noticed that during conversion it asked if this is a flat pano, I answered "yes". But now if I look in the XML file it says "Cylinder". Changing to "Sphere" doesn't help anyway.

Stoyan

• Gyroscope and flat pano are not really compatible due to the 1.0° fov. So the gyroscope move too much on this limited field of view.
    Normally there is no real issue with cubical panoramas or sphere panorama. Only when zoomed on little fov values the gyroscope can be erratic for the same reasons as flat panoramas.

• Hi Benji33,

Thank you! I understand that. So, what is the way to create a panorama (that is not a full 360-degree) which would behave well with iPhone gyroscopes?

Yesterday I uploaded a second panorama where I selected "Sphere" before the conversion. But it turns out this panorama is not HTML5-viewable. In the XML data there is a setting "devices=flash" hence the iPhone doesn't display it at all.

Can you advise what is the "magical combination" of settings? *smile*

Stoyan

• After further investigation, I got even more confused. Here is the summary:

I've got two types of panoramas - full 360 degrees and partial (120 degrees or less) HFOV.

Full 360 degrees panoramas convert flawlessly and work flawlessly both in Flash and HTML5 modes, on my Chrome browser in Windows and on my iPhone's Safari. Plus, the gyroscope functionality works like a charm!

Partial panoramas however are a completely different story: During conversion with MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet I get a question if this is a Flat, Cylindrical or Spherical panorama.

If I answer "Flat" then I can view it both in Flash and HTML5 but the gyroscope functionality sucks. With the explanations from the fellow forum members above I got an understanding why this happens. Fine.

If I answer "Spherical" then it seems the panorama is only Flash-compatible. It doesn't appear at all in the Tour thumbnail selector in iPhone's Safari. I noticed there is an XML tag "devices=flash" in the body of the scene description. If I remove it, it appears in the iPhone selector but it doesn't show anything.

So, my proper question should be: How do I get a partial spherical panorama converted in such a way that it can be viewed both in Flash and HTML5 with the gyroscope functionality running OK?

Here is the link to the TOUR, I have uploaded a bunch of new panoramas during my tests:

Regards,
    Stoyan

• If you're using <sphere> or <cylinder> tags the panorama must be in monoresolution to be displayed on html5 player. Multiresolution is for Flash viewer only for the moment.
    Prefer a <cube> monoresolution, so build your pano as cubical (equi or cube faces with black part for the whole 360x180) even if partial and "crop" the view to the selected part of the panorama to be displayed.

• Hello Benji33,

The full 360 degree pano is indeed image type = CUBE, but it is multi-resolution and works fine in HTML5. Including the gyroscope.

This is the second scene from the right in the thumbnail view on the link above.

The first panorama is marked as image type = CYLINDER, also multi-resolution and displays in HTML5, although the gyro is not too good.

Only the spheres would not show in HTML5.

If I take your advice to make them "partial-cubes" then how do I "crop" the view so the user won't be able to rotate 360 degrees and view the "black" portions?

Stoyan

• Hi,

partial panos aren't supported in HTML5 yet.

As workaround you could extend your partial pano to 360x180 (at best already within the stitcher) and the limit the viewing range manually with the limitview setting...

...but the problem with the gyro will still remain - the gyro control is not intended to work with partial or flat panos.

In the next release (1.18.3) the vtourskin.xml will automatically hide the gyro button for non-full-spherical scenes.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

Thank you for the tip!

I have to confess I am a newbie user both of the stitching software (AutoPano Giga) and Krpano. I looked extensively in Kolor's documentation and forums but didn't find how to extend the panorama to 360x180. Can you give me a hint?

Also, regarding limitview, should I put it to "range" or "fullrange"?

In the ideal scenario, can you provide a step-by-step guide what to do, if I'm not asking too much of you?

I have just finished a marvelous night panorama, which I would very much like to allow for iOS viewing (ideally with a gyro). Here are the Theta and Phi values of it:
    Theta Min/Max = -178.46 / -86.45
    Phi Min/Max = -19.01 / 14.27

Here is a 3% downscale of it:

I am planning an extensive 2-month trip in Khumbu region (Everest National Park) with lots of gigapixel panoramas there. My goal is to upload those on a dedicated website allowing both HTML5 (with gyro) and Flash viewing.

From my limited experience with Krpano so far I can conclude that the only working workflow would be to shoot all the panoramas as 360x180 but I'm afraid in most cases I won't be able to do that - many of the places (due to the high mountains around) will only let me shoot 90-120 degree panoramas. Forcing it into 360x180 would be a waste of space and valuable time.

What is your advice in this case?

Respectfully,
    Stoyan

• Hi,

there should be a 'crop' tool somewhere in Autopano - there you should be able to select 360x180 as crop/range.

About limitview - use 'range' if you want to use only the pano image itself (no borders), use 'fullrange' if you want to be able to zoom out to be able to see the full image, but then with borders.

About the gyro - it wouldn't work for partial panos - the gyro directly maps the orientation/rotation of the device to the pano and this doesn't work well when only a partial range is viewable.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thank you for the swift reply!

I found the crop options, there is indeed a 360x180 button but here is what happens:

Should I leave it like that or should I center the pano (or scale it somehow)?

I guess if I render it that way, the rest will be filled with black pixels? In this case, will your converter detect the actual hlookatmin/max and vlookatmin/max or should I input those at some stage (perhaps in the XML after the conversion)?

Sorry if asking too basic questions.

Stoyan

• Hi Klaus,

I have done the conversion, took a lot more time than the flat panorama. I have put the range values manually and all looks fine on my PC. Now uploading on the site, so I can see the result on the iPhone tomorrow.

In the meantime, I noticed that the only 360-degree panorama that I already have is not 180 degrees on the vertical axis. The converter has somehow detected this as it has put the following parameters for its view:

vlookatmin="-76.670" vlookatmax="76.670"

This probably has happened because I have cropped in the stitcher the nadir and zenith points to some extend as I wasn't happy with the stitching there. So, this seems to be a 360x152 panorama.

This scene works nice with the iPhone gyro even if not being a full 360x180.

Can you tell me how did the MAKEVTOUR droplet detect the panorama is 360-degree wide? Is it by reading something in the EXIF data or did it analyze the image?

Maybe I can reduce the conversion time by not rendering a full 360x180 panorama but 360x{something} for partial panoramas? The question is - is there a rule to consider so the converter would still consider it a 360-degree pano and make a cube? I mean does it have to be higher than XX degrees or something else?

Stoyan

• Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the information!

If I export the panorama from APG in PSB format and I pass it through Photoshop for some final touches before conversion, will it keep the FOV information?

Will I break something if I lower the converttocubelimit to e.g. 90 degrees?
    If I understand correctly the configuration file should be named "MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet.config", right?
    If yes, then if the config file is missing, the default value used by the converter is (more than) 120 degrees, right?

If the above is correct then my experience indicates there is something wrong. I am trying to convert a 360x120 panorama with the following dimensions: 260 869 x 87 000 which is a little bit more than 120 degrees vertically. But when I drop it into the Make Vtour it says it's not a 360x180 and asks if this is flat, cylinder or sphere.
    If I pad the image with white (in PhotoShop) and make it into a 2:1 ratio - 260 869 x 130 434 then the droplet converts it into a cube without any questions. What could be went wrong? Is it the PhotoShop editing before conversion?

Stoyan

• Hi,

will it keep the FOV information?

I don't know yet, that depends on Photoshop.

Will I break something if I lower the converttocubelimit to e.g. 90 degrees?

No, the default limit in the current .config files should be already 360x45.

If I understand correctly the configuration file should be named "MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet.config", right?

No, it's 'vtour-multires.config' (in the 'templates' folder).

See here:
    https://krpano.com/tools/droplets/#makevtourmultires

You can also see the related .config file by looking INTO the droplet files (on Windows with any text-editor, on Mac with the AppleScript editor).

If yes, then if the config file is missing, the default value used by the converter is (more than) 120 degrees, right?

There would be an error if the .config file would be missing, but when the setting itself would be missing, then the default would be 120.

But when I drop it into the Make Vtour it says it's not a 360x180 and asks if this is flat, cylinder or sphere.

That's correct this way - answer the question with sphere and enter 360 as hfov.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the information! Indeed when I enter "Sphere" and HFOV = 360 it makes a cube.

I don't know what went wrong this time but there is something odd with the last panorama I created using the above approach - the image looks too blurred and there are some horizontally running "wires" which are definitely not in the original panorama image.

Can you take a look at the panorama and advise what could be causing this:

(the 4-th panorama in the tour on the thumbnail bar).
    The other panoramas look OK to me...

Stoyan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!