Making Samsung GearVR tiles

• Hi I am trying to automatically generate tiles for the Samsung Gear VR.

So far I have been mirroring the equirec in photoshop, then set the resolution to 1910 per cube face in the convertdroples.config file and use the ConvertSpheretoCube.bat . I then find that I have to rotate the top and bottom cube faces by 180 degrees in photoshop and bulk rename the cube faces to the Samsung standard of naming positive and negative x,y, & z rather than KR Pano's up, down left right etc:

_u = _py, rotate 180
    _r = _nx
    _d = _ny, rotate 180
    _f = _nz
    _l = _px
    _b = _pz

This is still a bit laborious. Is there a way to make the Convert to Sphere batch action do the mirroring, rotations and name changes?

• Thanks Klaus!! Looks great, but it is not doing the mirroring step. I think they are texturing the cube from the outside and then making it a double sided polygon and viewing it from the inside. Is it possible to have it do the mirroring step as well?

• Hi Mac users,

Attached you'll find an Automator workflow that automatically mirrors the equirectangular and creates tiles suitable for the Gear VR.

Note: Open 'Gear VR.workflow' with Automator and make sure you enter a correct folder path at "Copy Finder items". Then save the workflow as an app and put it in the krpano folder.

Good luck!

• Hi I'm trying to take my panos with hotspots in krpano which I have cube rendered in Max with Vray and wish to put this straight onto the Samsung gear vr how do I go about doing this...?

can any one point me in the right direction...

• Following Klaus's batch file posted above, I have made a Window batch script that fully automates conversion of equirectangulars to orbx cube format. It uses ImageMagick to do the mirroring and compositing steps. Download as zip, unpack into the krpano 1.19 directory, read make_orbx-HowTo.txt, enjoy.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6dcu2hdimin…Ea50Jpyysa?dl=0

From included notes...

Code
    For droplet mode, select one or two images in a Windows Explorer window 
    and drag them onto the shortcut icon.  If two images, the left image must 
    come first in the displayed directory listing (change display mode if not).  
    The output file will have default name _l_r_orbx.jpg, and the default shift 
    and face size.

Thanks. This is helping in the process we are using.

For clarification... If I am using a single image it means it only has 1 equirectangular image in it and not 2 side by side like my attachment? Is there an easy way to modify the dropplet code to allow for dropping a single image with the left and right both in a side/side or a top/bottom configuration? This is how many 3d programs output images.

• Sorry, I've missed the part about the mirror - but that's not possible - the transform tool can only extract normal views from a spherical but not mirror them.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Sorry, I've missed the part about the mirror - but that's not possible - the transform tool can only extract normal views from a spherical but not mirror them.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Hi,

yes, that would be possible by using the 'view' mode and custom output naming and rotations.

Here a modded droplet for this case (Windows-only) - just place it into the krpano tools folder:
    Convert SPHERE to CUBE droplet (GearVR).zip

Best regards,
    Klaus

Hi Klaus

Im new to this VR images will the 1. Virtual Reality headgear for Samsung work with Kr pano is this possible ? and 2.could you explain what is meant with the transform tool can only extract normal views from a spherical but not mirror them. 3.What is NORMAL VIEW and should that fine for my perpose as long as the client can view the spherical panorama with VR HEADGEAR. 4. What is the reslotion a panorma must be for VR gearheadset as im looking to create 6000px X 3000px spherical panorama

Please advise.

Thanks

Johann *smile*

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!