Adding code for a splash screen to a vtour

• I've just created my first virtual tour by using the make vtour (multires) droplet. I'd like to add a splash screen. I found working code to do this in the introimage example viz

and pasted it into my tour's XML file just before the final </krpano>. This was a guess that didn't seem to work - the tour starts in the same way as it did before I added the code i.e. with a black screen. I did remember to copy the PNG file to the same folder as my tour.xml.

What am I missing? Do I have to combine the code from introimage with tour.xml's startup() function?

Tour is here: http://www.kilgore.org.uk/hmc/tests/vtour/tour.html

tour.xml follows - thanks!

• Thanks! Easy when you know how *smile* But here's a follow-up question: how could I have found that out for myself? Or put another way: the documentation for how to use KRPano seems non-existent. Am I missing something?

• Couldn't agree with you on that documentation is not existing:
    - top of the screen link DOCUMENTATION
    - https://krpano.com/docu/quickref/#top
    - https://krpano.com/docu/actions/#top
    - https://krpano.com/docu/quickref/#top,
    Than you have huge collection of the code in examples folder from Krpano package

Than you have this forum full of nice people willing to help. Huge collection of experiences collected at one place with lot of other examples and virtual tours.
    But most important you have to invest a lot of hours trying to do something on your own. When stucked come here and I am pretty sure someone will give you a hand.
    regards
    Umalo

• Hi Umalo,

I disagree with your disagreement. I think KRPano is really good and I am a very happy user. I also agree with you about the support available on the fora. However, I feel my original point stands: there is no documentation about how to use KRPano. There are examples and examples can be informative but they don't provide any explanation unless they are documented. There are also pages of reference information but this again is not the same as explanation. It is also true that if someone has plenty of time and is already clever enough, perhaps an experienced computer programmer, then they can make at least a very good guess about how things work based on examples and reference information.

What I would like is (1) for there to be a proper explanation of KRPano that I can read and (2) directions for finding that information. This would be a more effecient use of my time than making guesses based on inadequate documentation and undocumented examples, having to think about how to describe my problems for a KRPano user, typing that up, posting it and waiting for an unspecified time in the hope of an intelligent answer (and remembering to keep checking to see if anyone has replied). I find this irritating and it potentially takes days for every problem I encounter.

I hope these comments are not interpreted as an unconstructive criticism - as I said, I like KRPano. But if anyone asked me "what's KRPano like" I'd have to say "Excellent and very good value for money if you have a degree in computer science and plenty of time to mess about".

A

• keep="true" is probably the biggest, most common, and first learning curve for the krpano coder.

The documentation should say that elements OUTSIDE of scenes need keep=true to be visible but it's only partly true. If you use scenes, you need that to "KEEP" your elements in play.
    Why do you need that at all? Because each scene is it's own complete universe so otherwise, you'd need to put everything inside the scenes duplicated. Or you can put it ONCE with keep=true.
    Some people don't use scenes. And then you don't have that issue.

You're probably right. There could be a good tutorial on krpano basics and how to get started. most of us just stared at the examples folder until things started to make sense and then asked questions when we got stuck.
    Good luck with krpano and keep at it. It's so far ahead of many other virtual tour/ panoramic viewers out there, that almost all of them are not even used anymore.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!