More black tiles on Galaxy Tab S Android :-(

• Hi,

I have a 360 working fine on Desktop and iPad but it's playing up on a Galaxy Tab S running latest Android. As I rotate I get black squares appearing in random places plus there's no sound when I touch the red icon above the the guy with the small guitar / ukelele . It should play about 4 seconds plus open the speech bubble. The other three icons are not set up yet so ignore those.

Here's the link .......... Link removed as it's no longer at this location

Apologies for the weird 360 and I can confirm that I'm not under the influence of cannabis or anything stronger while working on this project *w00t*

I'm using krpano 1.18.1 and have tried html5:"auto" and html5:"prefer" with no luck. Also cleared all tab browsing history after any changes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andrew

• Thanks for checking the link Jordi. Much appreciated.

Just checked and it's Android 4.4.2. Looked on the Android website and see 5.0 is out although I've no idea when it's available for this tablet.

I looked under Chrome://flags and see that 'enable' is shown under Disable WebGL so that's active but when I go to http://get.webgl.org it says that the browser supports WebGL but it's disabled or unavailable. This is on a SM-T700 (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4) I got about 3 weeks ago so it's not old.

I just installed firefox on it and although the 360 shows correctly and there's no black tiles the sound won't play.

Very odd especially when it's normally iPad that's the pain.

• Hi,

newer Chrome version have a buggy/broken CSS3D rendering - what you see are not 'black tiles' - the black is the page background color, Chrome doesn't render some tiles for some reason (I assume 3D clipping bugs).

Normally WebGL should be supported in Chrome, but maybe Chrome is 'blacklisting' the support in your case due GPU driver bugs - and without WebGL available, krpano need to use CSS3D.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks for the explanation Klaus.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that its down to GPU driver bugs or Buggy new versions of Chrome. I try to make these tours work without any need for users to look for and change settings as most will just quickly move on if it's not working correctly. I know I would.

You're probably thinking .... Duh! Welcome to the world of bugs. I've been dealing with theses damn things for years *rolleyes*

I only got the Samsung tab for testing and it can't even do that in it's current state *sad*

Cheers,

Andrew

• Hi,

the main problem itself is still (and probably will be still a while) Android by itself - there is still too much fragmentation and no reliable standards...
    As you can see even Google is not able to support all available GPUs and GPU drivers. Although hopefully on the most devices WebGL should be available and working...

You could try changing the 'ignore-gpu-blacklist' flag in the 'chrome://flags' settings to get WebGL working anyway:

Code
    chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist

Or try using a Chrome beta or Opera beta versions. If it works there, it will probably soon also work in the release versions.

From krpano or HTML5/JS level there is nothing that could be done here.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• After starting the process again of making an app for Android and using Adobe Phonegap Build to make the APK, I noticed that when the tour loads in Chrome there's a few tiles missing so just the background shows which is obviously frustrating.

I found that if I then clicked on one of the thumbnail images and loaded the same 360 scene (which currently has missing tiles) then it all displays correctly and no black background is visible.

I also have an 'Info' icon that when touched opens up a scrolling text window. This opens fine but when the text window is displayed the left and right image tile disappears.

So I thought I'd see if anyone had an idea why it doesn't display the scene correctly first time round on page load but does work when a scene is specifically chosen, plus what would make the tiles disappear when a plugin is loaded?

I'm using Lollipop 5.0 on a Galaxy tab S5 and the app will only be available for tablets (plus iPad) so I'm not testing on mobiles.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!