To encrypt or not to encrypt?

• I am a relative newcomer to krpano, and my first virtual tour using this excellent software (thanks, Klaus!) is about to go live.

Should I encrypt my .xml files to deter poaching and possible hacking? Is there any significant effect on display speed with encryption - I assume the .xml files have to be decrypted on the fly by the krpano viewer within the visitor's browser? Are all device/browser combinations which can display an unencrypted tour capable of displaying the encrypted version? Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Any suggestions and tips would be much appreciated, please.

Regards to all

Andrew

• Encryption comes with a compression option which can reduce the xml size by up to 90%.
    That's the best reason.
    If you are selling are using super cool actions then encryption is great.
    If it's just basic stuff, then encryption isn't necessary. But use it just for the compression.
    Use multiresolution tiles because they are harder to steal and use for crazy thieves.
    You can't encrypt images for html5 anyway.

Also turn off the javascript interface and use this attribute.

https://krpano.com/docu/xml/#action.secure

• Many thanks for that - I wasn't aware of the compression option. Does compressing the .xml files actually have any significant effect though? The uncompressed .xml files for my project are only 90kb in total.

Any thoughts on my questions about adverse effects of encryption on display speed and compatibility with various device/browser combinations, please?

• Hi,

Does compressing the .xml files actually have any significant effect though?

Yes, the compression should be very effective.

Any thoughts on my questions about adverse effects of encryption on display speed and compatibility with various device/browser combinations, please?

The decompression of the xml itself needs additional time of course, but the decompression itself should be very very fast and not noticeable. The smaller compressed file and therefore faster download should have more effect then the decompression time.

If a xml is encrypted and/or compressed has no effect on the display or device/browser compatibility. That's just a loading thing.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!