• Hi, I am currently working on a large virtual tour of my home town pretty much the same as Google street view - but better *smile* and thanks to the invaluable input of a few members on this forum (you know who you are) the process has become a reality and the project roles on.

I have seen many similar VT street view mashups doing the same thing but it did cross my mind today about the legality of what I am doing - i.e I dont really want a man in a suit and briefcase from Google come knocking on my door saying that I have copied them and here´s your court date *cry*

Clearly I am not going to reference it to Google streetview or call it anything like that but I wondered if anyone had drilled into this before to see if you can do it legally? I am not sure what patent cover they have and on what concept to know whether I am in the clear. I feel sure they have no right to stop you from taking a VT of a street as that was being done way before street view came along.

Any thoughts/feedback greatfully accepted.

• I m quite sure you can not have any problem about that, there are other companies offering that kind of virtual tour. Microsoft street side is a giant example of that, and also many others. So maibe the problem could not come from google, but from local laws. In that case google could also be in that situation as they have shoot in many locations without asking for any kind of permit in order to explode that imagery, and also not paying any tax or copyright. So I would feel not worried about that

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!