Is it possible to change the base aspect ratio for the MFOV effective field of view calculation?

• Hi Klaus,

First I wanted to thank you for adding WebGL on iOS 8 support in the latest release. That was hugely beneficial on a project we're working on here.

Now my question: I was digging into a use case here, and I noticed that the visible field of view doesn't always match the view.fov value for MFOV.

Specifically, anytime the aspect ratio is less than 4:3, it seems to behave as if it's set to type VFOV, with a vertical field of view that is based on the complement to the defined view.fov at a 4:3 ratio. Also, since none of the screen, window, or viewer size is in a 4:3 aspect ratio, I believe it to be a value that is in the algorithm, as opposed to something environmental.

Let me give a specific example to make things more clear.

I open the FOV Types example in the KrPano examples directory (examples/xml-usage/fovtype/fovtype.html) and set the browser to 1:1, MFOV.

Then, in the browser console, I type the following:

Code
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("area.width") / document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("area.height")
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("view.fov")
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("view.vfov")
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("view.hfov")

I noticed that neither view.hfov nor view.vfov has the same value as view.fov. Interestingly, when I changed the aspect ratio to 4:3, things began to make sense:

Code
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("area.width") / document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("area.height")
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("view.fov")
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("view.vfov")
    # document.getElementById("krpanoSWFObject").get("view.hfov")

Here I realized that the view.vfov value is exactly the same as it was in the 1:1 example. I played with this a bit, and this seems to be true of all aspect ratios less than 4:3, including those less than 1:1.

My theory is that there's an underlying ratio in the field of view calculation when the fovtype is set to MFOV, and that the ratio appears to be 4:3.

To be clear, I think in 99.99% of cases, the behavior is improved by having that ratio present, but for a particular project I'm working on, I'd like to be able to adjust it slightly.

My question is, assuming my theory is correct, is there a way to override that value, or is it hard coded?

Thanks!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!