HTML5 still not usable as standard

• I just done a test on the current compatibility of the latest viewer. I set HTML5 tp always for testing

Windows XP as we still have 15.8 XP users as Global stats it has to be supported.

Chrome v 34 works but sometimes weird loading of tiles, like fan
    Firefox 29.01 tiles upside down
    Explorer 8.0 just black page

Mac Snow Leopard

Safari works perfect
    Chrome works perfect
    Firefox 29.01 works but bad panning and moving hotspots which are mirrored upside down in "ceiling"

So back to HTML5:auto

• Hi,

when using the default html5=auto or html5=prefer or html5=only settings, the HTML5 viewer already shouldn't be used on the such WindowsXP systems by default (in details that depends if the browser is capable of using the graphics hardware on that system).

Note - the html5=always setting is really only for testing - in this case the viewer will ignore any kind of support detection. But with 'prefer' or 'only' the embedding script will first try to detect if it is possible to use HTML5.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• I have tested using HTML:"prefer" and that uses flash in Explorer and Firefox on XP but HTML5 with Chrome.
    If I disable flash I get an error in Firefox that says I need a browser with CSSD or Web GL but the browser is the newest Firefox 29.0. Exactly same as on my Mac.

On my 4 year old iMac I get HTML5 with Firefox 29.0 but that does not work well. I get upside down arrow hotspots and very bad panning and moving hotspots.
    Also if I go higher than 2000 pixels width with the browser it looses completely control.

Apparently this has to do with the hardware because on my Mac-Air with Lion it works OK with same Firefox version.

So auto is still the best to use if you want all to see things the best way. Telling viewers that you need to do this or that to see it is not an option for me.

• Hi,

I have tested using HTML:"prefer" and that uses flash in Explorer and Firefox on XP but HTML5 with Chrome.

There is no fully reliable way to detect the real graphics hardware support in any browser, so there can be always some systems and cases where it wouldn't work...

If I disable flash I get an error in Firefox that says I need a browser with CSSD or Web GL but the browser is the newest Firefox 29.0.

The version of the browser itself doesn't really matter for this, the operation system and the graphics hardware and drivers are much more important.

On my 4 year old iMac I get HTML5 with Firefox 29.0 but that does not work well. I get upside down arrow hotspots and very bad panning and moving hotspots. Also if I go higher than 2000 pixels width with the browser it looses completely control.

This is this case:
    - the graphics hardware is good enough to support WebGL
    - but the maximum supported size of a webgl-textures is only 2048x2048 (this is detectable)

In this case, Firefox is not be able to use hardware accelerated CSS3D rendering. Instead Firefox renders all CSS3D graphics via its internal software rendering, but this is slow and buggy. This affects krpano, because in krpano the distorted hotspots were always rendered with CSS3D, only the pano itself will be rendered either with WebGL or CSS3D.

Another thing I discovererd is that the texfield in flash seems to be rendered much different in windows.

Different font rendering between different systems and browsers is normal and nothing that can be changed (without using embedded fonts). The Flashplayer and also the Browsers are using System-APIs to render the font.

The only way to get the same rendering in Flash on all system would be using embedded Flash fonts. In this case the Flashplayer will use its own internal (system-independent) vector-renderer to render the fonts.

So auto is still the best to use if you want all to see things the best way. Telling viewers that you need to do this or that to see it is not an option for me.

When mainly targeting audience with older systems, then yes, then the html5=auto would be the best setting.
    But then also viewers with better hardware will miss the HTML5 advantages - e.g. WebGL can perform very much better than Flash.
    So finally it's a trade-off.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• OK thanks.

I already asked about the embed fonts in a textfield post.
    I have no problem doing it in HTML5 but flash is still a problem.

I understand that you developed a new way for doing it but I do not see any manual on how to use it

If I understand it correct it is only for Windows as it is a.bat file.

And I also assume that this batfile needs Adobe Flash to work?

Would it work with the old free CS2 Adobe Flash in windows XP?

Hans

• Hi,

yes, it's Windows only, but it doesn't use Flash CS, it uses the Flex SDK mxmlc compiler.

Basically you only need to download the textfield plugins sources, then edit the 'embeddedfonts.as' to add or change the fonts that should be embedded. After editing run (doubleclick) the 'compile_embeddedfonts.bat' file to create a new 'embeddedfonts.swf' file.

Then this embeddedfonts.swf need to be included in the xml, the embeddedfonts="true" setting enabled in the textfield and the given font name used in the css. An usage example is included (embeddedfonts_example.xml).

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks but I get an error.

unable to open ..............Frameworks/winFonts.ser

I do not have that but the Frameworks contains an localfonts.ser

and I do not understand why you example says // embed system fonts

I do not want any system fonts. I want to embed some special fonts only

BTW I tried doing it with the unedited example embeddedfonts.as and it gives me the same error.

• In this case, Firefox is not be able to use hardware accelerated CSS3D rendering. Instead Firefox renders all CSS3D graphics via its internal software rendering, but this is slow and buggy. This affects krpano, because in krpano the distorted hotspots were always rendered with CSS3D, only the pano itself will be rendered either with WebGL or CSS3D.

It turned out I had Firefox Hardware accelleration turned of on my iMac. Which means it does not use WEB GL.

Safari has no problems with WEBGL turned of so it is all browser specific.
    As far as I can see the option for hardware accelleration should be turned on by default since a couple of years so I guess the weird behaviour of Firefox without it should not be a problem.

Hans

• Hi,

It turned out I had Firefox Hardware accelleration turned of on my iMac. Which means it does not use WEB GL.

The main problem here is that it's not possible to detect if Firefox is using Hardware acceleration for CSS3D or not...

so it is all browser specific

Yes, it's browser but also system specific - the graphics hardware and drivers matters too.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!