HTML5 Panoramic Video Support - Cube Map and/or Equirectangular

• Hi Klaus,

The current version (1.17) of krpano.js does not support equirectangular panos, and consequently the video player plugin does not support it either, so to get around this limitation I would like to suggest that you add support for cube-mapped panoramic video, or add a WebGL switch that allows equirectangular panos and pano-videos to be rendered in the HTML5 player. Do you have any comments around this idea?

Regards,

Fred.

• This is a brouwser side problem.
    Klaus can not do anything to make equirectangular panos work on webgl/html5 devices.

(When i'm right)
    Maybe set html5 to auto instead of prefer? In the index!
    Tuur *thumbsup*

• Thanks Tuur,

Actually, it is not a browser problem. There are multiple implementations of HTML5/WebGL equirectangular panoramic viewers on the web (e.g.: Kolor (video), Cheetah, etc.). The problem here is that in order to maximise device and browser compatibility, Krpano is currently maintaining feature parity between WebGL and CSS3D, and it is the limitations of CSS3D that prevent equirectangular panos (and hence pano videos) in Krpano. It is not a limitation of WebGL. This is why I am suggesting that equirectangular support could be included for devices that support WebGL, or (as a compromise) support could be added for rendering cubic panorama videos in CSS3D and WebGL.

I would like to hear Klaus' comments around these ideas, since he is the only one who is able to implement either of these things.

The reason we want this capability is that our application (Tourbot) makes heavy use of live-streaming equirectangular panoramic video, through the Krpano flash player, and we want to move away from Flash toward HTML5/WebGL,whilst keeping Kpano as the main client-side UI framework. Lack of support for pano video in the HTML5 player is a potential deal breaker for us using Krpano in the future.

To add weight to this argument, there are a number of cheap panoramic video camera rigs being developed (bublcam, 3D printed GoPro mounts, CentraCam, etc.), and Krpano is in danger of being left behind if HTML5 support for pano video is not included soon.

Cheers,

Fred.

• Hi,

panoramic video support for HTML5 is already planed for future krpano versions (probably already in 1.18), but when supported, it will only work when WebGL will be available. With CSS3D alone (like on iOS) panoramic videos in HTML5 are currently technically impossible.

Btw - it will work with normal equirectangular video files, there would be no need to use cube-mapped panoramic videos...

Best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!