Google are grabbing my tiles

• I'm using Kolor's APG 2.0 (based on krpano 1.17) to make panotours.
    Lately I have seen from the logs at my webhotel that "Googlebot-Image" is systematicly grabbing the tiles from my panos. I have not seen this before, they have grabbed jpg's and thumbnails but not the tiles.

I have attached a session where the Googlebot-Image grabs almost a thousand tiles !
    The bot zooms too, it grab tiles on all levels.

Has anybody seen this behaviour and know whats happening ? How do the bot get the tile filenames ?
    Do Google have an ambition to download it all, for later to put it together to get the original image ?

And in the end: how does "krpano protect" work in a case like this ?
    Does it protect me against Google *smile*

regards
    Leif

• Hi,

I think the probability that Google had written an krpano html+xml parser to find the tile images is really below 0.00%!

There is a very simple answer here - you have enabled the 'directory listing' on your server - so everyone can browse to all files folders on your server - see here:
    http://www.rundskuer.no/panotour/golleneset/virtualtourdata/
    http://www.rundskuer.no/panotour/golle…leneset_34/0/1/

And that's what the Google Bot is doing - walking through all folders and scanning all links to all files there.

(Btw - I'm really really sure that Google will not merge the tiles back to the original image )

Best regards,
    Klaus

• (Btw - I'm really really sure that Google will not merge the tiles back to the original image )

I don't trust Google. They have raided my gallery and everything they can get to. Without asking. See attached image from "google image" search. They have downloaded it, it's not a link.
    They have also cooperated with NSA, so there is no trust left.

Do "krpano protect" prohibit Google to "merge the tiles back to the original image" ??

leif

• Hi,

the keyword in my post was 'directory listing' !

The directory listing is enabled on your server!

Your server creates 'directory listing' pages for all your folders with links to all files. That means there is a DIRECT link to every file on your server. And this way everyone (and so also Google) can fully browse though all files on your server!

And when the Google robots will find links, then they will follow them and download the content of course. This is the way how the robots are working.

If you don't want that - DISABLE the 'directory listing' on your server!

That means that problem is not related to krpano and has nothing to do with the krpano Protect Tool. And Google will definitely not merge the tiles back to the source images. Therefore they would need to parse the krpano xml structure and this will surely not happen.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!