Manually setting multiresolution levels

• I am currently working on a project which I am optimising for viewing on tablets, so I am using the prerelease version of 1.17.

The project consists of a virtual tour containing over 20 scenes, but for all of these I am setting a diagonal field of view starting at around 105 degrees and allowing the visitor to zoom in to an FOV of about 60 degrees, but not to zoom out beyond the 105 degrees, for example -

<view hlookat="0" vlookat="0" fovtype="DFOV" fov="105" fovmin="60" fovmax="105" limitview="auto" />

Starting with an equirectangular image of 8192 x 4096 pixels, I am finding the optimum multiresolution parameters are a tile size of 512 pixels with cube sizes of 1024, 1536 and 2560 (which are exact multiples of the tile size, although I am not sure if this important or not). These settings seem to give a nice degree of sharpness throughout the zoom range with a minimum of 'shimmering' due to aliasing.

My problem is that I don't seem to be able to create these levels simultaneously in one pass through the MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet. In the .config file I have the following settings -

# multiresolution settings
    multires=true
    tilesize=512
    levels=3
    levelstep=1.7
    maxsize=auto
    maxcubesize=2560
    progressive=false
    leveldownload=view
    leveldecode=view

The maxcubesize=2560 together with levelstep=1.7 gives me the 2560 and 1536 cubes but only 904 as the smallest size. The only way I can make the 1024 cube size seems to be with a second pass with different parameters and to then manually collect the levels into one directory and to edit the tour.xml file accordingly. I am finding that this is time consuming, messy and prone to mistakes from human error.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to get my three levels in one pass?

If not, may I please suggest that a method of over-riding the automatic choice of cube size would be useful. Perhaps something along the lines of -

levelstep=manual
    makelevel=1024
    makelevel=1536
    makelevel=2560

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!